Torque Converter for Predator 212

After researching TC vs Clutch I have decided that I want a TC for my minibike. No matter how much I dig I can’t find anything good that’s not like 200$(Low budget). Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks for any replies!!!!

I am considering the swap to a TQ but it is hard to find anyone selling the real USA made Comet TAV TQ 2 I think is the model needed for Predator 21 with 3/4 shaft. IF anyone knows of reliable suppliers of the real deal please share. I am especially upset that a few suppliers are
mentioning Comet TAV2 models and conceal the fact that they are asia sources.

I am considering the swap to a TQ but it is hard to find anyone selling the real USA made Comet TAV TQ 2 I think is the model needed for Predator 21 with 3/4 shaft. IF anyone knows of reliable suppliers of the real deal please share. I am especially upset that a few suppliers are
mentioning Comet TAV2 models and conceal the fact that they are asia sources.
https://www.bmikarts.com/Comet-TAV2-Torque-Converter_p_988.html
https://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/go...lutchtorqtav30/gominiclutchtorqtav30kits.html
https://www.gokartsupply.com/tavapp.htm

Gokartsupply, or call Comet direct. We like our TAV30 on our Whirlwind. H40 or GX200 are the power plants, depending on the day.

I bought this today. There is no part that is not replaceable. The real major part is the mounting plate. I have not seen one maker that does not have problems with the bushing. It is a design flaw that you have to lube.
There are kits that say they have all "Correct" hardware to mount everything. They only want 25 bucks for 3 bucks worth of hardware, what a deal.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=202608641466

I went with the "cheap China" TAV for my Predator Coleman, as stated you need standard bolts to mount it, not metric. Quick trip to the auto parts store or hardware takes care of that.
And yes the stock bushing failed pretty quickly, I picked up a pair of them from OldMiniBikes. Maybe I'm lucky but I was told to order the Comet belt as the stock one doesn't last, but it's still on mine.

I first went to BMI and read this in the description about the change in ratios
quote:
"Comet TAV2 Torque-A-Verter Converter - Made in USA
Here are some reasons for selecting the asymmetrical concept. The Torque-A-Verter can attain an .90:1 or 10% overdrive."

What they are saying is their range in ratios is exactly the same as switching from a 9 tooth front sprocket to an 11 tooth front
sprocket in an all chain system with jackshaft. I have believed all along that the TAV TQs would provide much more variable gearing. Could they possibly be wrong in their description ?

My Trail King has a very early Torque Converter, but uses a V-Belt. It does have an infinite "gear ratio" once the clutch has engaged at fairly low RPM.
I'm not sure how the lug belt engages the drive spools being wider than the V-belt design, but it seems to work.

quote:
Here are some reasons for selecting the asymmetrical concept. The Torque-A-Verter can attain an .90:1 or 10% overdrive."

What they are saying is their range in ratios is exactly the same as switching from a 9 tooth front sprocket to an 11 tooth front
sprocket in an all chain system with jackshaft. I have believed all along that the TAV TQs would provide much more variable gearing. Could they possibly be wrong in their description ?
Starts out at 2.7:1. Read this description.
https://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/go...qtav30/gominiclutchtorqtav30kits/218353a.html

I went with the "cheap China" TAV for my Predator Coleman, as stated you need standard bolts to mount it, not metric. Quick trip to the auto parts store or hardware takes care of that.
And yes the stock bushing failed pretty quickly, I picked up a pair of them from OldMiniBikes. Maybe I'm lucky but I was told to order the Comet belt as the stock one doesn't last, but it's still on mine.
Curious, where is the bushing and how do you tell that it failed?
Also when do you need a new belt like hiw can you tell?

The clutch will not disengage ( can be lack of oil or it has failed)
It also can be very loud squealing.
The bushing is worn out and wobbles excessively
The bushing cracks or crumbles. You open the clutch to oil it and see this.

quote:

Maybe I am reading this wrong but I think the jackshaft component is the one that really needs the bearing instead of the crankshaft "DRIVER"

Isn't the driver considered to be the crankshaft component ?