Torque converter help

Been lurking for a while with not much to say, but I now have a question. As of recently after rebuilding my driven pulley I have pretty much destroyed my driver pulley. With that said, I have a small tire super bronc with an 8hp briggs flathead with and k&n intake and a header with tav 30 that's rated to 8hp?! Here is the real question, with me being 250lbs and probably a smidge over my torque converters rated ability, should I be wasting time and money on this converter or and should I upgrade to the 40 and do they even make one in a 3/4" shaft? Or should I just go another direction entirely? Thank you in advance for any input

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I use that same torque converter on minibike. I'm a solid 230 and it will throw me straight off the back if I'm not careful. It can easily handle that amount of horsepower.

I also used that same torque converter on a bug heavy 2 seat off road go kart and it handled it with no problems even with me and my son on it.

In my opinion a 40 series is WAY overkill on a minibike and unnecessary. Plus I think they are for larger shaft but I may be wrong about that.

What did you do to your driver? I might have some extra 30 series parts.

I use that same torque converter on minibike. I'm a solid 230 and it will throw me straight off the back if I'm not careful. It can easily handle that amount of horsepower.

I also used that same torque converter on a bug heavy 2 seat off road go kart and it handled it with no problems even with me and my son on it.

In my opinion a 40 series is WAY overkill on a minibike and unnecessary. Plus I think they are for larger shaft but I may be wrong about that.

I know for sure it ate the bronze bushing and the spring loaded weight (?) is all beat up (might be repairable) .

I unfortunately don't have a bronze idler bushing for ya. I might have a set of weights though. I'll look.
Thank you, no biggie if you don't, I'm just glad this converter is worth my time and money. It worked good for awhile, probably needed some preventative maintenance before I got to it. I didn't really know much about these until as of late, so from now on I will maintain it much better. Thank you

Been lurking for a while with not much to say, but I now have a question. As of recently after rebuilding my driven pulley I have pretty much destroyed my driver pulley. With that said, I have a small tire super bronc with an 8hp briggs flathead with and k&n intake and a header with tav 30 that's rated to 8hp?! Here is the real question, with me being 250lbs and probably a smidge over my torque converters rated ability, should I be wasting time and money on this converter or and should I upgrade to the 40 and do they even make one in a 3/4" shaft? Or should I just go another direction entirely? Thank you in advance for any input

A series 30 will do everything you need it to with the 8hp Bronc.
If its an old series 30 from the 70s or 80s it likely has wear to begin with.
As far as sinking money into a Driver or Driven I wouldnt.
You can buy a New Chinese Driver or Driven for less than $40 delivered off eBay.
I have bought 3 sets .... people here say they work fine.
It is recomended that you buy Comet Belts tho.
Also Comet Sells lube for TAV units ... you will want that too.
So for about $100 you can have a new Driver, Driven & Belt shipped to you.
$20 more for the lube ... but I bet there are some savy members that know something that works just as good but is cheaper.

I didnt find the weights, but my garage is a bit of a mess. Im 90 percent sure i have them. Unless you are just in a giant hurry, if you can wait until tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work I will look harder and find em. If I find em I'll get your address and put em in the mail saturday.

A series 30 will do everything you need it to with the 8hp Bronc.
If its an old series 30 from the 70s or 80s it likely has wear to begin with.
As far as sinking money into a Driver or Driven I wouldnt.
You can buy a New Chinese Driver or Driven for less than $40 delivered off eBay.
I have bought 3 sets .... people here say they work fine.
It is recomended that you buy Comet Belts tho.
Also Comet Sells lube for TAV units ... you will want that too.
So for about $100 you can have a new Driver, Driven & Belt shipped to you.
$20 more for the lube ... but I bet there are some savy members that know something that works just as good but is cheaper.
There is your answer right there^^^. Quit screwing around with that old one. By the way, I'm 290 lbs and my Super Bronc VT-8 with a Comet 30 holds up just fine.
Michael

I'm also 290lbs and ride with my 60lb granddaughter ..

Another interesting this about TAVS ...

I have 4 bikes with TAVs ... 2 came with a cat99 (1970), 1 with a 30 series (1975?) and 1 with a 40 series (1987?).
When I got the bikes they all had one thing in common .. they would lock up hard enough to allow wheelies ...
Sounds like fun but it can be a problem in the trails ...

I still have the 40 series but the others have all been replaced with 30 series Chinese ...
The new 30 series keep the motor RPMs up in the power band, they allow enough slip to not let the motor bog down and keeping the Driver and Driven in the best ratio for your given speed.

The only complaining I have comes from my wife. We ride at top speed and she was getting a little vibration she didn't like ... I bought a new Comet 30 series Driver and she is a happy girl.
For trail riding I find the Chinese units to be just fine.

And get some comet lube!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5UHQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
zgp-730agp-730a.jpg

Ive noticed that with the chinese 30 it eats belts bad, on my old doodlebug i just upgraded to a kevlar belt from my local supply store and it did not tear it up. Now after a while of riding i bet it would heat and stretch. I sold the thing and have no clue how its held up

Just an update, I ended up cleaning my clutch up, and installing a new (nice) belt and it works like a charm. I used a CRC brand graphite dry lube. Anyway, just wanted to to thank those of you who chimed in, you all were a big help