Torque Converter Reverse Drive Clutch & Gear

ictp

Built a drift trike but having issues with standard centrifugal clutches burning up. Decided to go with a TC but current frame design prohibits normal mounting. Is it possible to mount the driven gear on the outside of the jackshaft? If so, will the bearing be able to withstand the chain load?

Some info on the clutch system I've been using:
Trike weight: 197lb
Engine Mods: 212 Predator, bored carb, springs, jetted, billet flywheel, timing +3 degrees
Drivetrain: 12" wheels, 12t magnum clutch w/heavy shoe, 64t sprocket

Pic of trike.
WP_20160516_003.jpg

Pic of what I'm trying to do.
WP_20160623_001.jpg

It's not ideal but what are your other options? $5 for a set of bearings is the worst case. Why were CCs smoking? It's a drifter- full ON, full OFF, ehh? Overhung load is not radical there from what I see...

One more thing, any reason why you have only a 64T on the drive axle? I'm not up on "drifting"

Last edited:

ictp

Clutches were smoking because people not driving it fast enough. I went with the 64 because it puts less load on the clutch, started with a 53.

I have a max torque 12 tooth on my drift trike and have never had any trouble with it. I'm running the gray schedule 80 pvc, maybe the black is biting harder??

Run a longer shaft through the output end of the TC, and have an extras bearing braced over to the frame hoop over the motor to brace it up..

Clutches were smoking because people not driving it fast enough. I went with the 64 because it puts less load on the clutch, started with a 53.
Right, that change would probably put the RPM beyond the engagement point. I guess I was wondering why not go for broke with a 72 @ 6:1...

ictp

Seems to be working ok. Chain sits just flush with the frame bottom. The TC backplate has some vibration when I give it throttle but I think it's from the motor, it doesn't seem to be balanced inside very well but for $100... Will give it some more riding and hope something doesn't break off and lash me in the back.

I really believe it is the plastic you are using. I'm running 12 tooth clutch with a 58 on the rear which is 4.8 and I have never had trouble with my max torque. Out of the hole mine breaks loose easy. Does your black plastic tend to bite?

I really believe it is the plastic you are using. I'm running 12 tooth clutch with a 58 on the rear which is 4.8 and I have never had trouble with my max torque. Out of the hole mine breaks loose easy. Does your black plastic tend to bite?
Rear wheels do have some bite but with both setups I can easily break traction. This is normal HDPE plastic, same stuff used on most drifters.

You can't move the sprocket in on the axle to run TC "normal"?
No. This was the first prototype design so the next one will have a little more room in the back.

Here is how it turned out. I had to cut the top reinforcement as it was rubbing on the drive pulley but I wanted to mount turn signals anyway so it worked out. I just wish this happened before the powder coating.

Last edited: