Torque converters???

What series of torque converter would be best on a 5hp trike? I have a centrifical belt clutch now and it's not cutting it and I don't want to break the bank! I have 2 trikes ,one Vito a 3.5 with torque converter and the other with 5 and centrifical and the smaller one smokes the larger one?

Thanks gumpit! What will the pictures help with one has a torque converter and the other is a centrifical clutch that uses a belt? Just curious and want to learn!

Is there any advantage to a 30 series over a 20? Part and belt availability? I would be running a 7" driven pulley with a clutch behind it. In other words while sitting in the seat the driven pulley behind me then clutch on the motor.

What will the pictures help with
Pictures tell a 1000 words....plus we are a visual bunch! :rolleyes:

Picts can give us a better understanding of what your working with (things you may have not thought to mention) and in turn you get a better informed decision of what to purchase! :thumbsup:

Pictures tell a 1000 words....plus we are a visual bunch! :rolleyes:

Picts can give us a better understanding of what your working with (things you may have not thought to mention) and in turn you get a better informed decision of what to purchase! :thumbsup:
X2!

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Thanks gumpit! What will the pictures help with one has a torque converter and the other is a centrifical clutch that uses a belt? Just curious and want to learn!
Lots of factors here, would rather not give the wrong advice.

How wide is your drive belt now? Is it a V belt? OR is it flat one side?

If you change to one type of engine clutch, you may need to change your driven clutch? I would guess one is 3/4 shaft and the other is 5/8?

Its like asking a blind man to set the spark plug gap for you.

The larger one has a centrifical clutch not a comet style clutch! It had a v belt to a driven pulley that was bolted together so it did not open up as it should! So the short of it it was only 1gear. I have ordered a slew of new parts for it, series 30 torque converter, jackshaft,gear for jackshaft and a new 30 series belt. The clutch that was on it looks like a typical one used on a mini bike that the chain attaches to but used a belt.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Sounds like your set.

Also, sounds like it was set up for a clutched V belt.
Which is ok, if you want to go slow.

That system is more for rotary tillers and riding mowers.

Last edited:
We'll the new jackshaft and sprocket arrived today but the series 30 that I ordered was actually 3 week back ordered? I had to cancel that order and find another to order! Now I have to wait until next week!