Tote Goat model 404 belt

Working on a 1964 model 404 for a friend. I'm pretty sure the belt on it is not the correct size, as the clutch never disengages it. The clutch is clean and seems to work properly, and has a 3/4 inch width opening between the sheaves at the shaft. The belt that is on it now is .90 inches wide and approx 41 inches outside circumference.

Any leads on the correct belt would be appreciated

Attached are pics of the goat and the primary clutch. I have the clutch cover off in the photo

Attachments

Hey again Jeff.

Richard Trotter is our resident Tote Gote guru, having exceptional knowledge about the Tote Gote bikes.

Richard is usually on here pretty regular, so I bet he'll be thru sometime this weekend, and will help you get your answer. That is if one of the other fine folks on here doesn't do so first.

Nice looking Gote your friend has there. Good luck on your project.

Thanks for the kind comments, RobertC. The Tote gotes all used a belt with a top width of 7/8". The most common belt is a Comet 203790 which has a outside circumference of 40.5". Some gotes used a 42.5" OC Comet 203791. From your measurements, I would say the 203790 is the belt you need. There are usually shims on the shaft between the outer active clutch face and the stationary face. With a new belt there should be a slight clearance between the clutch face and the side of the belt when the belt is bottomed against the clutch shaft. The shims could be removed as the belt wears to maintain best performance.

Last edited:
Thanks Richard, I did find that comet belt part number through some online research, but I'm thinking it will be too wide. Does the photo of the clutch I posted look like an original clutch or maybe it's been replaced?

I have .75" of clearance between the sheaves right now

Your clutch is original and looks to be in good shape. Be careful not to stretch the springs during maintenance, there are no replacements or substitutes. Also don't run the clutch without a belt, this can damage the springs. I mentioned the shims because they are necessary with a new belt. The top width of the belt is 7/8" but it is closer to 3/4" where the belt touches the hub because of the side taper.

Attachments

Last edited: