Tote Gote Help

first off i am new here. i aquired this bohnam tote gote 5 or 6 years ago knowing it was a worth while find. i have had hard time finding out anything about it. any help would be much appreciated. thank you

welcome..........Richard trotter on this forum is the man who knows a bit about them.......he will be along........nice find and look forward to your build:thumbsup:

Not a very common model, but that helps date it to around 1966. Usually, the first digit in the model # indicted the motor hp. If I am reading the # right, it says 661-7. 7 added on the end means it actually was built with a 7hp briggs. Having a 1 in the model # means it wasn't the standard gear ratio. The early models had a 1 on the lower geared. On the later models, a 1 meant a high geared model. This model was built right when this changed. You would need to count the teeth on the small secondary sprocket ( 11 or 15 teeth. ). I would also like to see what wheel bearings were used. The front forks should have the longer travel springs. Could you measure the space between the front fork tubes? There were forks with 5 1/2" space and the 'super' forks 7" space. Great to see another gote.

Thank you very much that was 100% more in formation than i found anywhere.
:smile:
yes the model number 661-7.
so the serial being 109 is that in reference to the number sequence it was made in?

Not a very common model, but that helps date it to around 1966. 661-7. You would need to count the teeth on the small secondary sprocket ( 11 or 15 teeth. ). Could you measure the space between the front fork tubes? There were forks with 5 1/2" space and the 'super' forks 7" space. Great to see another gote.
ok well the sprocket has 11 teeth and the space between tubes is 5 1/2"

11 Tooth sprocket is the lower geared model, sometimes called a 'climber'. Although it had a 7hp motor, a briggs 6hp, 7hp or 8hp would all fit. All three motor had the same dimensions. Look for a motor with 1" dia shaft 2 1/2" long. Find a clutch for the motor can be done a couple ways: (1) look around for other tote gotes with the 1"climbaway clutch or (2) spend $180 for a aftermarket clutch. You can usually pick up a parts tote gote for less than $180. these can be fun projects.