tote gote model B

I recently picked up a tote gote that I believe is a model B. It has a tecumseh 5hp motor. could that be the correct motor or did they all have briggs & stratton motors?

@Richard Trotter you continue to be an asset to this place, over the years providing solid advice on 'Gotes and engines alike. I'd have been lost on a couple of projects without you.

One small point I'd like to make is that a lot of folks are no longer associated with Face Book. I know the old Tote Gote site went away, but I hope the future holds a solid repository of this treasure trove of information on a different venue.

assuming I can get this motor running, it has sat a long time, would it make much difference in performance and value to find an original motor? Thanks for all the help. I had one as a kid and think it will be a fun project

It would be worth finding a late 50's or 60's Briggs (you haven't said what year your model B is) in the sense that it would be as close to original as possible. The challenge will be finding a 3hp Briggs with the stamped B&S pullstarter/blower housing with the right dimensions of the shaft for you to fit your clutch onto. Someone on here may have that engine. Try the wanted section.

The 5hp Tecumseh may offer some more satisfying performance however. There is no reason you or a another decent small engine mechanic couldn't get the existing Tecumseh engine running unless there is something utterly FUBAR with it...like a hole in the block or something majorly serious. Get a chinese carb, (or shell out the $$ for an OEM one), replace the fuel lines and air filter. Especially Don't screw with the tecumseh magneto unless you have a dial gauge or really know what you're doing. The small engines of yesteryear were made to be repaired over and over and not disposed of.