Tote Gote Model "P".. Front brake..

My Gote has the internal band brake..like an old Schwinn..I tried removing the wheel to check the lining...but...Does the front axle drive out after removing the one bolt ? Don't want to damage anything..Also..Is it OK the use a die grinder to smooth down the rivets...then drive out.. to shorten a new chain ? I don't have a breaker..Thanks..J..

My Gote has the internal band brake..like an old Schwinn..I tried removing the wheel to check the lining...but...Does the front axle drive out after removing the one bolt ? Don't want to damage anything..Also..Is it OK the use a die grinder to smooth down the rivets...then drive out.. to shorten a new chain ? I don't have a breaker..Thanks..J..
Could you? - Yes, however, why not get the proper tool for the job? (chain breaker)- Thay are available all over for a very reasonable price.
Michael

The Schwinn front brake used on early Tote Gotes should be attached with a single long bolt that runs through the axle. After removing the nut, the bolt should slide out of the axle. It is possible someone has replaced the single long bolt with 2 shorter bolts on each end. I use a grinder to shorten chains, then a roll-pin punch to drive out the chain pins...

desert rat

I'm a welder and a caveman so yes I grind my chains. I can always find my grinder, I have not missed placed it in over I don't know 4,000 chains.

Mr. T..Thanks for the diagram. That is what I have. Mine has the long bolt. I tried again last night with punch and hammer. Did not move a bit.. I'll try again...j...