Tote Gote Nova

rmm727

I have a question for you guys that own these. That gearbox looks like it is a worm gear setup. If that is the case, then you can't push one of these. If you can push it, can it be pushed both directions? Maybe there is a one way bearing near the hub?

It is a worm gear type. The pinion gear is helical cut. The pion is heat treated steel, and the ring gear is brass. This allows you to roll the Gote forward or back. The belt usually makes it so you can't roll it anyways.

rmm727

After a second look, it appears that the input shaft is offset to the one side of the hub and that would make it a hypoid gear much like a truck axle. This would allow it to be pushed. Thanks for your reply Totegotes.

Here are those pics. This is a Nova 670 I installed a Honda GC190 it has the Comet 44 clutch with a small drum/band brake installed. This machine also has an older briggs tank and mount on the frame instead of that tear drop looking tank. I'm thinking this was an early Nova frame.
I hope this helps with all the peaple that cam't find a Clim-Away

Looks like everything lines-up good. Did you have to make your own pilot washer to hold the clutch on? Is there room for the rear fender? Good work gotes, good to hear from you.

I did not remove the Predator tank when I installed it in the Nova, instead I teed the two tanks together. Now I can fill both tanks thru the original Bonham fill spout and not have to remove the seat to get at the Predator fill spout. The spouts of both tanks are the same level, so they fill evenly. Once filled, I shut off the Bonham tank and use the Predator tank to run on. When Predator tank runs dry I open up the Bonham tank and use it as a reserve. Has any one used this setup before? I came up with this because my Honda Trail 90 has a reserve, and I use it all the time.

Got the Nova 680 on the road today. I did not want to wait for a climbaway clutch to come my way so I installed a Comet 20 Series clutch. I set it up like the climbaway with the stationary sheave away from the engine. A 9/16" spacer was needed between the clutch and the engine to get the belt to lineup on the driver and driven pulleys. This combination seems to work just fine and I will not be replacing it with a climbaway unless I find one dirt cheap. I have not clocked the bike yet, but top speed is around 25 mph. The Predator has more than enough power, top speed is limited by the stock governor's rpm.
I installed the Predator with the stock tank and muffler so it is a tight fit. Less than 1/2" clearance between the frame and engine in several spots. This is just dumb luck that all these parts went together.
But the point is a Tote Gote can be restored using modern and easily available parts. I will add some shots of the completed bike soon.
Lynn

Last edited:
Here is a shot of the Comet Model 20 Clutch mounted on the Predator engine. The 9/16" spacer is between the engine and clutch. This is a tight fit in the NOVA but it works.

rmm727

Well that's interesting. You have the driver clutch on backwards. I guess that would work because its a symmetrical belt. Very curious about this setup.

This is the way the original Climb-Away clutch was installed on the Nova models. But the Climb-Away is not available anymore. Most say the Climb-Away is the only clutch that will work on a Nova. But since I could not find one, I had to use the Comet. Works great.

Completed

Here is the completed bike. I have added a buddy seat, foot pegs, headlight, fenders,and diamond plate side covers First pix is of the Comet series 20 clutch, and the before shot of course.