TOTE GOTE rescue

Is it Sacrilegious to install a newer engine on a goat? I found a 6.5 hp Husqvarna with electric start for 100 bucks lol too much comfort ya think?
The Model 600 was the most popular Tote Gote produced. There are a lot of them available. I don't think a different motor would hurt if it was done well. Some modifications actually destroy the value of a Tote Gote. If you plan on keeping your gote, have fun with it...

mustangfrank

Is it Sacrilegious to install a newer engine on a goat? I found a 6.5 hp Husqvarna with electric start for 100 bucks lol too much comfort ya think?
I encourage anyone that asks to repower vintage machines with vintage or newer US made engines especially originally equipped flatheads, did Husqvarna make their own engines? Snap us a picture.

Why not electric start, not like you're worried about weight with that old tank.

Stsguy

It being the more common of them which is apparent when looking around I fell the same...heck you can get a grand in a rescue if you wanted to... I seen one all original with papers for a grand on Facebook I think.. I thought one would do better being as clean and all org.. But Im learning from this project early that the part# F.U.N. is the most important part to get right.. I really think you for all the feedback and help..
I do plan to do a thread and Video for YouTube on the rescue. My main helper will be my 6 yr old grandson. He needs to learn how to bust up his knuckles.. I'll be @#$%#^ if he will be one of those kids calling A.A.A to fix his flat tire while on dates with his girlfriends.
[a few years down the road]
Some great news... The pulley mounted on the frame is free and opens and closes with ease.. Much spring tension but working like new... or so it seems. And, I bought this today HUSQVARNA 6.5HP 208cc 3/4" HORIZONTAL SHAFT SNOWBLOWER GOKART TILLER ENGINE (pics below) for 99 bucks shipped.. This is not a Homerun but a fair price for what it is. Electric start can be a plus at my age...or a bad day it will help from pulling something,, This one off ebay new.. and found one from dealer for 80.00 bucks on sale but was 120 shipped site yet no elec start//
On the clutches I looked at the links provided the other day also found a few a tad lower cost.. wondered if anyone has horror stories or good luck with (also pics below) 43 bucks or 41 bucks sold as replacements for comets... and are the engine size specific? I know shaft size matters It seems they will be and i can find with reading a bit im sure. Just really wondered on quality and should i consider or pass on the knock offs. Thanks again Joe
s-l640.jpg s-l1600.jpg 119599843_2849921871903197_8599722411675986203_n.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

Stsguy

OldMiniBikes.com or ATVtires.com (I think that's correct spelling) might have some tires that will work. That rear is an implement or old snowblower type, I've seen something similar around the usual web haunts if you're looking for "concours" correct...:)

Don't give up on finding an old Briggs or Tecumseh H or HM series, too bad you're not up here in the land of cheap snowblower engines but they're out there.
I really wanted to go with an older cast-iron power plant but looking around it seemed it would take more time then I could bare to spend. Ill keep looking and grab one if I see one. I'd rather have a complete engine over a block trying to locate the parts to finish. Its been 40 yrs since I've rebuilt one of these. As kids from the south there wasn't and edger that was safe of being recruited as a donor for the engine and cables.
The last cart build we completed as kids was made from a couple old shopping carts for a frame with welded on plates for axle bearings and engine plate... This was when our wallets had not been introduced to money and carried nothing more than faded baseball cards, a random biz card, and maybe a metal social security card from the flea market.
Back then we had a stack of old engines for parts.. all Briggs
But I found a deal on a Husqvarna 6.5for now