Tr381 Tri-rod

I might end up with a used (understatement) TR381 Tri-Rod...
It'll need restoration which I'm up for, but I'll have to transport it about 150 miles...
I do have access to a trailer, but if there's a way to cram it into my Chevy extended cargo van that would be easier for me..
If there's anyone that could tell me the width measurement of the rear, from the outside of the tires, it would help me to prepare to haul it home.
Also I assume I SHOULD be able to remove the rear wheels to narrow it, but these wheels appear from the pictures to be pretty rusty, so I'm not sure how easy that'll be either..
I will have my B-tank torch setup with me, which might help to remove rusty nuts..
Also a rough length measurement would help me too..
I realize I may not get the info I need because these seem somewhat rare... Can anyone help me with any ideas on how to dismantle it for hauling?

Attachments

Last edited:
Take some PB blaster with you. I had to remove a wheel to fit in my small pick up truck. Those lugs probably aren't rusted that bad, as they are protected by those wide rims.

Yeah... I was thinking about sometime like that... Rust buster...
And my socket set...
If i can get the wheels off and MAYBE the fiberglass body, I should be able to load it into the van... Even if I have to turn the whole thing 90 degrees to slide it in..
The width and length measurements would help me...
..... I may end up having to remove the axles?...
Also, what type of fastener holds the fiberglass body on?
I assume it's some type of bolt and nut?

wjustice

The height of the rollbar may be an issue. Maybe just remove 1 wheel so that it tilts to the side. The Alsport TS models are listed as 48" wide. Years ago my Alsport RTS wouldn't fit into a pickup with a cap, because of the rollbar and pipes. We disconnected the shocks to drop it down. The Alsport TS models are in the 80" long range, so this should be somewhere close to them.

I was hoping I could dismantle the roll bar...
I know I'm going to probably just try to take a trailer...
I would hate to drive that far and not be able to dismantle it quick enough to transport...