Trans fluid

I have a saxxonette two speed with Sachs motor. I believe it’s a 1972 Arctic Cat Whisker.
would like to get it running but not sure what trans fluid to use (I heard DEX/MERC)
Also not sure what type fuel to use, would anyone have the correct information for me?
thx!

the sachs manual calls for a 25:1 ratio on gas/oil mixing, and .5 pint of sachs gear oil for the case (which can be subbed out with ATF). it's said DEX/MERC ATF is just better to use since it's an older formula for an older engine. but you can go down a rabbit hole of people debating on forums about engine oils.

the sachs manual calls for a 25:1 ratio on gas/oil mixing, and .5 pint of sachs gear oil for the case (which can be subbed out with ATF). it's said DEX/MERC ATF is just better to use since it's an older formula for an older engine. but you can go down a rabbit hole of people debating on forums about engine oils.
Hi. Do you have the sachs manual? Could you share?

SAS289

Is this a two speed gear box or is there clutch (friction) and steel plates inside? If it is a gear box then trans fluid type wouldn't matter. What would matter is the viscosity of most all trans fluid, and any type can be used. If there are friction plates then type of trans fluid may matter. You would use the type of fluid that is most compatible with the specific friction plate clutch material.

All other soft parts like o-rings and seals could care less what fluid is being used. Especially back in 1972.