Trapper Trail Bike - Project Log

Came to my dad's shop this morning and drug out the bike that has been sitting for a few years in the back. It's a Trapper Trail Bike made in Dearborn Heights, MI. and has a West Bend/Chrysler 820 on it. It is missing some things, but I'm trying to force myself into starting a restoration on it.

I'll prob. be giving MeanDean a call soon if all goes well.

Here are some pics:

Mean Dean

Hi Casey, Cool another Trapper coming to life. I have some NOS parts and literature. Any info you need I will gladly help you with.

Dean

Mean Dean

Yes, I think I have two in Black. I have a NOS gas tank, Seats, Some misc.. What is your serial #. You can PM with the vin if you want. look on the axle shafts and see if you have a grease fitting. Early ones do not. They had problems with wheel bearings blowing out on the early ones and they put the fittings in. There is one on Ebay that is all there but apart. Nice fiberglass parts, Buy it now $450. It is in Oregon. If mine was not complete I would deal with the guy. here is the item #230856889445

Yes, I think I have two in Black. I have a NOS gas tank, Seats, Some misc.. What is your serial #. You can PM with the vin if you want. look on the axle shafts and see if you have a grease fitting. Early ones do not. They had problems with wheel bearings blowing out on the early ones and they put the fittings in. There is one on Ebay that is all there but apart. Nice fiberglass parts, Buy it now $450. It is in Oregon. If mine was not complete I would deal with the guy. here is the item #230856889445
I will need a NOS black seat. My gas tank has two dings...I might be able to repair. I'll need a VIN tag, (I'll get the number to you.) This model is later and does have the grease inserts. Are the sprockets welded on yours? I also want a brochure. I think the brochures you have are from the year model I have. I don't know how the foot pegs attached yet. They are missing on mine. I did contact the seller of the Trapper listed on eBay. I wanted the fenders, no go... I may be able to buy a front fender from you. I was planning on re-doing the plastic anways using metal flake:

Does anyone know anything about Herb Grasse being involved with the design of the Trapper? I found some images of the Easyrider that are linked to his design studio. Which came first Easyrider or Trapper?

Can one of you guys with original bikes tell me if the handlebar mounts were black, green, or chrome? I am going to go ahead and do the frame, and would like to know.
Also, Does anyone know of anybody that has/had a Trapper with the "Performance Package" Exhaust?

Got everything taken apart for the most part to see what hardware/parts will need to be replaced or can be restored/used. The rear axle and drive shafts used sprockets that were welded onto the axle/shafts... Why they would engineer a bike like this IDK. I don't want to change the ratio of the drive system, but the teeth on the sprockets are not the best. Does anyone have any ideas as to where you can purchace jackshaft/drive sprockets that are larger than the ones OMBW offers?

I also have a trapper !!!! Dean, all I need is the air cleaner can. I will go out to the shop and give you the serial number. Do you think you have one?:shrug: