TRI-ROD independent rear suspenion?

Cuda54

Well I am looking to find out who made the TRI ROD when they put the independent rear suspension? It has 4 shocks 2 on each side and a big rubber flex for each axle. And it has band brakes on each axle too. I am going to change it to disc brakes and universal joints on the axles. And maybe put a JLO single cylinder with about 28 to 30HP on it. I have a picture in my rides it is blue metal flake and I put a 10hp Tecumseh on it. It did not have a engine when I bought it. That is my son driving it in the ST Pat's day parade. Thanks for any info!

1971_MB1A

I have 2 I've had for 20 or so years that are pretty "rough" but they do both appear to still have their original engine's. If you could send me a front,rear,and side picture we could compare them.

Cuda54

I forgot what motor is on them? And I have the ski for mine too. I will have to get it out and take more pictures of it. Some one tried to straighten the front on mine. But it is still smooth riding on rough ground! I need to get better shot of it.

125ccCrazy

got one just like it, I just finished tearing it down and stuffing it in the attic until I decide what to do with it, fix it or part it out?..

Have you found universals to change it over?

125ccCrazy

Does yours have the twin shocks and independent suspension? Does your have the seat pad on it yet?
yep 4 shocks, unfortunately they have seen better days, this one is pretty rough, not sure why I even bought it... No seat pad on this one either, I've yet to buy a trike with a seat pad, seems those are one of the first pieces to be destroyed over the years..

Yep his has the rubber donuts for the axle ( it was my trike b4). They are really unusual trikes and had some great advances over others on the market,but sadly never really took off (sales wise).
There was one for sale here in Ohio last winter that was a street legal prototype supposedly owned or kept by Beltz all these years . If I remember correctly it was a family member selling. Beltz as in BGW

BGW did make 2 street legal versions. One that was identical to the off road model in terms of size and design, the other was a full frame trike just like the Tri-Sport model and had independent rear suspension, kohler 340cc engine, rear hydraulic disc brakes, ect.. if you go to you tube and type in Fatslobvintage, you can see us riding around one one that we own (have had 3 street legal and 1 off road BGW Trike). Fun Fact, had the privilege of talking with John Plessinger, the guy who patent the first Modern ATV in 1966, and he actually designed the body for BGW on the street legal model. Look him up and you can see a drag trike he made using the basic Tri Rod body design. He told me the Rear Rubbe rU-joints were still being produced as of 3 years ago, as BGW used them from another application. Wish I would have wrote down the company he told me made them!!