Tri-rod?

james c

the more i look at the pics the more i think its not the same, the bars are diff
the glass is different it looks like a dunecycle frame. not sure at all

Mine was a little different too but I was just wondering if they were just different model years making the Fiberglass a little different. I would go by the frame identification method.

Hi all. I can't beleive I found this. I have a TR381 that we bought brand new. The tag on ours says it was built by Arms Industries Mansfield OH. My Grandpa bought it for us when I was in 3rd grade (82-83). I just got it back form my uncle who had taken it for his kids when I started driving. I plan on rebuilding it with my 10yr old son and 11yr old daughter. :grind:

To the O.P. Yours would have had a 5hp Briggs & Scrapiron. Ours had an 8hp.
We had looked at the TR351 but my Grandpa bought the TR381 figuring we were going to grow. The TR381 was a bit larger than the TR351. They also had a monsterous sized orange utility type that I swear I saw on C-list just a few months ago.

I'll try to attach a few pics.

Welcome dzidenny : Nothing like passing the fun around the family, and many thinks go to a Grandpa who was there for the kids. Looks to be in plenty fine shape to make a good project for you and your pair of riders. If you could send more pictures of the working side of the trike like the entire drive train and things like brakes they are helpful to a lot of us Trikers here. Your location ( in debt ) is getting crowded LOL
Steve :scooter:

Thanks for the welcome Steve. I will be sure to take pics as the rebuild moves along. There will be plenty for us to work on back there as both brakes and clutches will need to be gone through. Unfortunately when my uncle took it to his place his kids killed it in a matter of a month. It was left to sit in the horse pasture since. They drilled holes in the fiberglass and changed the engine and let the horses trample it for years. I asked to get it back over and over but he always told me I had used it long enough and it was his kids turn now. A few months ago he told me to take it home with me when I was there. Didn't have to say it twice.

The worst part of these was the hundred and some inch control cables. Any idea where those are available? We tried cables from bike shops years ago but they never worked. I've seen the band brakes on e-pay and the control handles are still available as well as the twist grip throttle, but those long cables.... :shrug: I picked up a super nice B&S 8hp yesterday for $60.00. :thumbsup: Now I got the itch to go play. I'll be back.

Denny

The long brake cables and even the throttle cables are a trike problem. I bought all the parts from Flanders Motorcycle Supply in California. I started buying from them in 1972. With any long cables it's always best to buy nylon lined housing . Buying in bulk is not what a lot of people want to do but if you don't get it right the first time it is a waisted effort. I start with the wire size for clutch & Brake I bought ( .08 ) diameter wire that is a 1 X19 strand their part # 610-03120 and I bought housing a Rectangular chrome steel core with nylon liner with abrasion resistant plastic outer cover O.D. .233 I.D. .098 for use with the wire above. This housing part # 610-03325. The parts for the ends of the housing is # 620-20330 large clutch ferrule for the wire. The parts for the brake lever end you will have to measure and look at their catalog for the proper fittings for your levers.
For the throttle cable I bought their part # 610-03100 wire that is .064 diameter and also a 1X19 strand.
And the Conduit housing part # 610-03315 with an O.D of .215 and I.D. .086 and a Ferrule for that is housing # 620-20220.
I have made throttle cables for VW trikes that were about 15 feet long.
I am not your average go cheap guy so buying quality parts works for me.
Band brakes are marginal at best but good control cables help a lot.

here is my tri-rod but i could swear i have rear suspention? or maybe they just put the tri-rod glass on a al sport frame? i'll have to look into it some more when i start working on it this spring? also it dont say 351 or 381 on it but it dont look to be painted either? nice score grumpit & way to hang on to your old trike dzlenny
:hammer:

I like a trike that has adjustable bars. The Columbus has had some chopping done to the motor plate like it had a two stroke right side engine shaft to eliminate the jack shaft. That means no torque converter and that just kills the trike.

i seen that ebay trike & thought about getting it but was broke at the time & it looked a little clumbsey im only bout 4hrs away so there is the gas isue also... i wonder who got it? any1 on here? its definatly cool looking!

i seen that ebay trike & thought about getting it but was broke at the time & it looked a little clumbsey im only bout 4hrs away so there is the gas isue also... i wonder who got it? any1 on here? its definatly cool looking!
Three Wheel Columbia Mud Buggy, Go Kart, Rat Rod - eBay (item 220755759102 end time Mar-27-11 18:30:00 PDT)[/QUOTE]

Update on this trike . A friend of mine picked it up yesterday and it is sitting in my driveway for two weeks and it going to Colorado when he returns to pick it up .

its listed as Bmg on internet let me run to my friends this week and look at his tri rod brochure to make sure
How are you? My name is Mike and I just picked up a 1974 BMG try rod trike street legal looks to be all original the motor in the frame match numbers it looks to be all there from what I can tell spent most of its time stored somewhere inside... You said something about a dry Rod brochure? Is there any way I might be able to get a copy of that?

Attachments

How are you? My name is Mike and I just picked up a 1974 BMG try rod trike street legal looks to be all original the motor in the frame match numbers it looks to be all there from what I can tell spent most of its time stored somewhere inside... You said something about a dry Rod brochure? Is there any way I might be able to get a copy of that?
alsport dealer.png

Posting in multiple old threads probably isn't going to do you much good. I suggest you post a new thread.