Tri Sport TS 150 shakedown drive

With the time off for the Holidays I was able to devote some time to my Alsport project. Warm temps made my garage very comfortable for a change ! Last evening we got the body back on and were able to take a brisk ride around the neighborhood on this. What a great ride,,,it perform perfect.:thumbsup:
This is a Tri Sport TS 150 which has the original Rockwell JLo 230cc 2 stroke engine. I've been dying to see how much difference there would be compared to the TS 130 Tecumseh 8hp unit I have & I gotta say the 2 stroker was flawless :smile: Smooth ,quick...fast ! It just rips lol Powerband feels soooo right on a trike . I had a frozen smile for 1/2 hour hehe. Now I can hardly wait for some snow (crazy right?).
Next step will be doing fiberglass repair to the tub....but for now DONUTS :doah:

wjustice

I dont know how much power the jlo makes but both of my 2 stroke trikes put a big smile on my face. Full throttle it goes straight. You can turn all you want but it doesnt unless you grab a turn brake.

Do you have any photos that show how the motor/clutches are set up? I'm building up an Alsport that looks very similar to yours and haven't been able to find much on engine arrangement. I have a 340 2-cycle twin engine and torque converter that I wanted to put on the machine but I'm worried it will be a bit much, so I was going to get an 8-ish HP 4 cycle to put in. Will it be boring with the 4-cycle? I don't have any experience to relate to with these.

Last edited:

wjustice

Both my 2 strokes have salsbury 780 clutches. The TS goes forward to the j/s. The RTS is mid engine and goes back to the j/s. There may be pics in my albums but I'm on my phone and can't see them right now. Maybe later i can check.

Do you have any photos that show how the motor/clutches are set up? I'm building up an Alsport that looks very similar to yours and haven't been able to find much on engine arrangement. I have a 340 2-cycle twin engine and torque converter that I wanted to put on the machine but I'm worried it will be a bit much, so I was going to get an 8-ish HP 4 cycle to put in. Will it be boring with the 4-cycle? I don't have any experience to relate to with these.
I think there's room for the 340 twin,I have one and lined it up once on one of these.Just never mounted it as I was saving it for a Alsport Tracker.
You,however are talking two different planets between a 8hp and a 340 2 stroke hahaha...scary fast wheelie machine w/crappy brakes VS a mild slow engaging 4 stroker that tops out about 32-35 mph.
I did take pictures tonight to post...they're kinda dark,but maybe they'll help.

Thank you for the pics, that does help out. That's what I was thinking, scary fast wheelie machine. Especially since the engine only fits behind the jackshaft, and on mine ends up cantilevered behind the axle. Probably not a huge thing with my fat butt on there balancing it out but my kids are a different story. I'm also worried about breaking components such as the axle shaft. I think I'll save the 340 for another project, and maybe somewhere down the line I'll come across a 2-stroke single somewhere and put that on. I've always liked the sound, smell, power, and neighbor annoying potential of 2-strokes so I'd like to get one on there eventually. Thanks again for the pics!

Gotta love the smell of the 2 stroke :laugh: Those single cyl. Smokers are out there...they used a lot of them on older snowmobiles.
Must be some up in your neck of the woods for cheap! If not,,I have extras ,,,might be able to spare one :wink:

This was my first Tri-Sport a TS 290 with a 290 CCW engine and yes it had stupid bands around what they called brake drums. But it was so fast and was a great hill climber. O steep hills your ad to be careful with the throttle because just hit a bump and too much throttle you would do a back flip or brake a chain at the top of the hill and just see how far if you got it turned around that trike would roll and roll and roll ant the stupid brakes did nothing to stop you. But what a thrill 99% of the time.
Steve

wjustice

Damn steve, I thought it was just mine. The axle brakes on the TS290 do nothing. The j/s brake is ok as long as you have a chain. I gave in and got some MCP calipers and discs. Hopefully i get some decent weather and can start working on it.

Smart move on the brake choice MPC makes good stuff and one thing about the TS machines they use all the torque that the engine produces and that makes for all the pop up wheelies and a steady climber on the hills. I loved to climb the hills. All the RTS series have some losses in the torque department but with the full suspension you can ride much faster over rough ground. We didn't have GPS back in the 1970's but my Trike with it's Kohler 440 engine and the 13 inch Ford Falcon wheels and the Sand Commander tires would do close to 100 MPH on the desert power line roads. The name of " Killer " was assigned to that Trike.
Steve

wjustice

This trike doesnt wheelie like some I've seen but the front wheel does bearly touch under full power. I've had if side by side with my RTS and it does get a jump off the line. The RTS catches it and pulls away quickly though. The TS had a bit more rider weight and a 9t j/s gear.

Yes, snowmobiles are fairly prolific around here and I probably wouldn't have too much trouble finding a single somewhere. Problem is, they usually come with a snowmobile, so I end up resurrecting the sled! The name of 'Killer' is something I'm trying to avoid on this one. When I was planning on putting the 340 on it we were calling it the 'three wheeled death machine'. I think I'll throw a 4 stroke on it for now and keep my eyes out for a 2 stroke that isn't too big. That way the kids will be a little older and hopefully a little more mature (wishful thinking). Plus I'd hate to snap an axle shaft or something that will be hard to replace. Maybe I'll run across an RTS frame that I can stuff the 340 into.

Steve & wjustice Im confused...TS290 ? I thought the biggest one they made was the TS150 (TS series wise) ? Isn't that the model that came with the Rockwell JLo single cyl. 2 stroke ? Maybe I've been calling it the wrong name. :confused::confused:

wjustice

I've never found an actual name for this but steve had one years ago and i have one now. Its a TS with a ccw290 twin. From the paperwork ive collected it was only made in 72. They used the ccw engine in 73 but in the RTS config. The frame that had ccw's had a dip in the center of the shock crossbar and kohler's it was straight. I also have paperwork somewhere that the TS150 also came with a husqvarna engine I think. To me it shows that at the end of the TS manufacturing they were gearing up for larger engines in the RTS line.

The SL had a big challenge ( ME ) when the rider weigh more than the trike it is what it is LOL My top speed on my Street Legal was 69 MPH I had one of the magnetic pick ups on the front wheel I gave up on the stock cable unit. My trike had the lighted flag pole, air horns and more lights and reflectors I wanted to be seen.
Steve

I remember having a unit for sale that came to my shop as a used machine from the distributer.
And it was a TS 150 but had a bigger engine like a 390 and the same band brakes. And I was riding it full bore in front of the shop at about midnight and I hit the jack shaft band brake and popped the stupid chain that sucker rolled about 2 1/2 blocks. Pushing a trike that big while along side was not much fun. We did a lot of wild thing around there at night time as it was just a industrial area amongst lots of old oil drilling sites called Signal Hill.
Steve

OK..so since the original "shakedown " proved everything (almost) worked as it should,it was time to pull the body back off and see if repairs could be made to the busted up tub. There were some major chunks missing from I guess a high speed impact once upon a time,maybe even a rollover.