troubleshooting

Where is a good place to read up on what to check to get an engine running and setting the carb? I got about a 4hp I put a cheap carb on. It didnt run before and runs when I spray carb cleaner in the carb. The po said the carb was bad. I ready dont know much about small engine except stuff from highschool.lol I dont remember stuff from that long ago. Thanks for any help.

It ran when I sprayed carb cleaner in it. I put a new carb on plenty of gas ran out of hose. It is new gas, no filter. I'm not sure about hooking the carb linkage up, it was not hooked up when I bought it. I'm not really sure what the screws are for other than the idle. Where is a good starting point,Im sure its different than a car. tighten it all the way and open it so many turns?

The air/fuel if it has one is on the side. Screw it all the way in and then back it out 2 1/2 for a starting point. Open the throttle by hand and spray starter into carb. Make sure choke is open when you spray. Pull start the motor and then once it starts to fire open the throttle by hand and fluctuate it to try and keep the motor running.