Truckasaurus44's Vintage build - BC1000

OK, I was planning on redoing this BC1000 and figured this was a good way to do it.

The OHV Tech engine is getting ditched for a more proper Tech flat head, an old Sears HS50 that needs a major carb overhaul. It runs on starter fluid, but when I opened the carb, green goop with black chuncks came out. NASTY! I've got pretty much everything I need other than time, but lets see if I can be riding it by May! At least its a 1000, so there isn't anything that complex on it.

Either way, here are the pics:

Nah. It's a boat anchor. Actually, if anyone is looking for a 4door tracker 4wheeler project...that doesn't run, let me know. Now, to take a proper picture with a can or bottle in it.

Time to rip it up. She's been pretty much torn down. I left the front wheel together to help with straightening the forks. the right side is pushed back slightly, making the steering cockeyed. A slight tweek on the right down tube should do it.

Here's the stuff that's getting ditched so far. The OHV Tech is a great engine, but this bike needs the flat head.

Well, after some fighting, I fixed the slight tweak in the forks. Now she's off to the blaster,while I start cleaning the engine off. The new Carb, throttle linkage and exhaust came in from the OMBWH last week, so all is running smooth so far.

Well, everythings with the blaster for paint removal. After cleaning my last project with chemical stripper and a wire wheel, its nice letting someone else handle the dirty work.

What a blast! Here's the frame:

I've got a couple spots I need to clean up, like the chain marks on the engine plate, and then it's powder coat time! I was going to paint it, but the blasting place gave me a decent price on doing the blasting and powder combined. I saw some parts already done in the red I picked and it's gonna look hot!

OK, got the rims and they look good. Here's the question, to polish, to paint, or to powdercoat?

I could probably hit them with some rustoleum aluminum paint, but it probably won't cost too much more to do them up in flat powdercoat silver. My tab at QuickStrip is growing by the day, but in the end, I think it will beat paint. Other option is to polish them like crazy by hand w/ the dremel. My blistered hands say that's a bad idea, but let me know your thoughts

I got a great gas tank included when I picked up a kohler K91 off of here and that's getting done in gloss white and will be mounted under the seat. I know the underseat tank was an higher end model feature, but so was the seat I'm using, so I'm cool with it and it will look bad @$$. The frame is getting done in red and I decided to do the sprocket and spacers in "Super Chrome" powder coat. It won't be as mirror perfect as chrome, but it should be just right for parts that were originally done in Zinc.

Last edited:
Darn it! I stopped by the powder coater to pick up the frame and upon inspection, found that some grease that was left in between the peg mount and frame cooked out and turned into a really ugly paint flaw.:doah: So much for having a nice snow day project.

Luckily the guys there stand by their work and are making it right. The forks and brake look awesome, so I'm sure they'll get it right the second time around.