truth

65ShelbyClone

The ten commandments are the basic rules of society.Thats what i am talking about.Even though i am not a believer.My quote didnt say anything about killing.

Religion has to many variations,and can and will be interpeted by radicals who mix thier own beliefs.These holly rollers are the problem.
The general message of the Ten Commandments is actually a thread common to many religions, even those that predate Christianity.

Like laws, religious text is subject to interpretation. That interpretation is subject to outside factors ranging from societal norms to the individual's opinions and beliefs. A big problem IMO is people who try to force their belief system on others. The Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, and more currently relevant, Islamic extremists come to mind. I'm not leaving out Christian extremists; they just haven't blown up any abortion clinics lately. :eek:ut:

125ccCrazy

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

The ten commandments are the basic rules of society.
Surprise! Providing basic rules for society is not the purpose of the ten commandments.

My quote didnt say anything about killing.
No, you said "no matter what you believe, live a good life." I asked you what is "good?" To a jihadist, killing and dying for god is "good." What makes your good right and his wrong?

furyus

OMG Strigoi you did it again.. LOL

Damn where is all the PM's and reported posts about the religious stuff? We get lot about peoples sigs, incorrect minibike's, spam, you name it. This should be just as offensive as that... haha you guys crack me up.

Neck

Growing up is optional
All I want to know is.....Who the hell is Stephen Roberts?! and why should any of us give a rats south end what he has to say?

furyus, thou shall not kill.It sounds right to me.Why not put some thought into it?If you are a jihadist,im glad you live in virginia
I didn't say I was a jihadist. It's called an example. What makes your idea of good correct and, for example, a jihadist's idea of good (kill infidels) wrong?

furyus

OMG Strigoi you did it again.. LOL

Damn where is all the PM's and reported posts about the religious stuff? We get lot about peoples sigs, incorrect minibike's, spam, you name it. This should be just as offensive as that... haha you guys crack me up.
And this guy's a moderator. Funny as hell.

Clyde

All I want to know is.....Who the hell is Stephen Roberts?! and why should any of us give a rats south end what he has to say?
On giving a "rats south end" I proffer the God Ganesh, who is seated on a rat that keeps nibbling on whatever is available. The rat is a symbol of our senses, never satisfied. The wise person rides on his senses and keeps them under control.

So much for deified ass on a rat.
Just saying....

Would you rather have a no good lying cheating dishonest person living next door or a person that follows the ten commandments?You tell me.I follow the ten commandments even though i dont beleive in the bible or gods of any kind. i know whats right and wrong.I dont know what religion you practice,or care,for that matter.If you cant figure that out for yourself i cant answer your question.

Neck

Growing up is optional
On giving a "rats south end" I proffer the God Ganesh, who is seated on a rat that keeps nibbling on whatever is available. The rat is a symbol of our senses, never satisfied. The wise person rides on his senses and keeps them under control.

So much for deified ass on a rat.
Just saying....

Stop trying to distract me! I have a limited attention span don't you know! Just answer the first question, and stay away from my yellow cat!

I follow the ten commandments even though i dont beleive in the bible or gods of any kind.
Why would you do that? Do you even know what the ten commandments are? I mean, the very first one says you will have no other gods before you. If I didn't believe in "gods of any kind" I think I'd stop right there. And if you don't believe in the Bible, why on earth would you choose something out of the Bible to base your morality on?

furyus

Clyde

Stop trying to distract me! I have a limited attention span don't you know! Just answer the first question, and stay away from my yellow cat!
Neck, look over here ... "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!"
{my personal take on religion "in general"}

Stephen F. Roberts is alleged to be an internet pseudonym for this threads opening quotation. More likely the quotes origin is older and multiple.
Example: Bertrand Russell "I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line."

Yellow Cat? Ceiling cat ...
http://amyletinsky.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/creates-man.jpg

Neck

Growing up is optional
Estne tibi forte magna feles fulva et planissima? No....my yellow cat!
I hope your happy Strig! (I'm sure you are!)