Trying to hook a kill switch to my 2000 ford ranger

Where I live lots of trucks are being stolen and I want to make sure my truck isn’t next and I want to put in a simple toggle kill switch in it. I just want to know how I could be able to do it. I heard somewhere that you could cut a wire going up the the inertia switch. D9F48192-F650-4801-991E-2B6411F04A0B.jpeg

I just drain the oil out of the engine when I park it that way if it gets stolen I can always find it within a few blocks from where I parked it. It's worked for me a couple times.

A kill switch might be cheaper though.

desert rat

My wife said just hook plug 4 to the seat and leave the key in it. Don't own a pacemaker and steel a truck the rest just sit there and shake. In the old days we used a ........... that.s not legal anymore it's now called laying in wait. Horse theifs used to be hung. Sorry if I offend.

Ford ignition switches often use a white/pink wire - to go from
Either - ignition switch to the transmission on an auto,
or the ignition switch to the clutch pedal on standard trans.
This can be confirmed with a test light or volt meter.

Automatic goes from ignition switch to neutral safety switch on transmission (to only allow the engine to be started in neutral or park)
Standard transmission goes from ignition switch to a switch on the clutch pedal (only allows the engine to start with the clutch pedal pushed all the way in).

If you interrupt that white/pink wire (please confirm first with a test light or volt meter) with a toggle switch, it will prevent the vehicle from being started no matter what gear it is in. Auto or stick.

Inertia switch shuts off power to fuel pump in an accident.
I would not mess with the inertia switch at all, and leave that system intact for safety. Way safer to kill the ignition.

Last edited:
If you interrupt the white wire with the red tracer from the ignition switch you are cutting power to the coils. I am not familiar with white and pink combo wire so I cant help there. If you interrupt the wire from the inertia switch you are cutting power to the fuel pump. It wont interfere with the function of the inertia switch just as long as you don't relocate it to a different mounting position. The biggest thing is to not have any of the work visible if the thief try's to take a quick look for these very common items to be modded for antitheft deterrents. If it were mine I would intervene with an engine sensor that would be much harder to find and fix. You have several options. Cam position sensor is a no run when there is no signal. The crank position sensor is a no run with loss of signal. And some wont run with loss of oil pressure. Whatever you decide to do hide the switch up under the passenger side of the dash where you can just reach it with the tip of your finger so it will be hard to see. I always position my switches where flipping it forward is the run position and back is the kill. You can put them in the glovebox area and cut a small round hole in the top of the box to just slip your finger in too.

ANY of the above suggestions can lead to an electrical problem down the road if they are not properly done. Strip wires, clean the connections and solder it all together. Some of this self sealing "Marine" heat shrink would be the best thing to use. It has sealant on the inside that when you heat it for the shrink it activates the sealer and once it fully shrinks its a done deal.

Just my .02...

As of now I am out of this conversation.
the discussion has gone from reality to theory.
Where is the theory? Its all factual to a failed connection/sensor resulting in it not running.

Not arguing with you Mass but just curious what you disagree with. I appreciate your opinion and am certainly willing to learn.

SAS289

There's so many ways I would have a hard time choosing. But I would lean towards a choice that allows a crank but no start. If you set up for a no crank the thief may know right away there may be a kill switch present. And the sound of a crank no start brings attention.

If you have a manual trans you are better off because the younger thieves don't know how to drive a manual in the first place.

desert rat

Looks like fuse 24 needs to be replaced with a switch and inline fuse. If you do it that way you can always go back to stock. If you install the second one listed you can replace the switch with a magnetic "key" (get two key parts). I am sure there are more connectors out the that would work. Manual trans is the cheapest anti theft device. Three on the tree is the master anti theft device. The only one better is the very rare four on the tree.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/pats-module-bypass.170877/
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=192891262333