TT500 question

On a TT500, if you have a foot brake for the rear, what side should the front brake lever go on the handlebar? Normally the front brake would be on the right side (throttle side), but since the original brake lever for a TT500 had an embosment for the mirror, which you would want on the left side, it seems it would be on the left side. Please let me know your thoughts..

I believe the front brake would be on the right side with the foot brake. I believe the TT500 came from the factory with front and rear hand brakes and the foot brake was an option, and the foot brake replaced the hand brake,sometime during the model year as a normal production item. I have some new right hand brake levers with the R cast into the mirror boss and the correct 8mm threads, and Made in Japan underneath. I'm not sure if they are NOS or a very early repop.

I can't say with 100% certainty, but I put mine on the left side. That way when I reach for and grab the front brake, I am not inadvertently messing with the throttle.

Rupp 72

I believe typically the front brake goes on the right side, but when i did my TT500 with a foot break i too switched it over to the left side. Just that way the right hand is gas and left hand is break. I don't know what factory was though.

The original advertisement appears to show the left hand brake lever actuating the front brake and the right hand brake lever actuating the rear brake. This is how my survivor bike was set up as well. So if you install a foot brake, I believe it would be the right hand brake lever by the throttle that you would remove.

If you look closely at the TT500 advertisement, you can see the left brake lever works the rear brake, the same as it did in 1969. If you bought the foot operated brake option in 68, you would just remove the left brake lever and install the foot brake option.

You are right about the ad. I got my black lines crossed up. However, things in the ad never made production, like the rounded fenders and the goofy clutch guard. So I can't say that is 100% correct either. 2 other survivors like mine had it set up like mine did, so I went with that. Maybe it depended who actually set the bikes up at the dealership?

TT500 Survivor 1.jpg

TT500 Survivor 2.jpg