Tubes ( the thermionic kind )

I just made an arrangement with a Lithuainain fellow for some military tubes

Now I got an in over there to replace my crimean connection so do any of you fellow into audio gear need stuff?

I am pushing for a box Gu-50 (ГУ-50) from Poland as an opener because these can be moved easily.
But if you have something else in mind let me know

The hell with Russian military surplus! Why don't you import something useful like Russian brides? Ogy
Uhm.....
Isn't that human trafficking lol?

The real cost of making these tubes exceeds any value we could put on them here.
Why because we never made stuff like this in such volume.
They went broke making spare parts like this.

I can get magic eyes too!!!!!

Homemade tube amplifier 2*40W with GU50 - YouTube

MB165

I play with tube gear too.:thumbsup:
I just recapped a Philco 48-250 last week. Once I stop spending so much on minibikes id like to build a dynaco st70.

I just made an arrangement with a Lithuainain fellow for some military tubes

Now I got an in over there to replace my crimean connection so do any of you fellow into audio gear need stuff?

I am pushing for a box Gu-50 (ГУ-50) from Poland as an opener because these can be moved easily.
But if you have something else in mind let me know
Those GU's are linears... I bet the military spec version is great for RF. Overkill in an audio amp.

My 11 Watt push-pull amp uses a quad of 6L6's... can use 6550's or EL-34's as well if I change the bias resistors. Have a new set of Czechoslovakian 6L6's in it now, they are bassy but lacking on the high end. Always looking for different tone from the tube amp. Would rather buy in multiples of 4, and have a B&K 747 to match mu and gain to make pairs.

High quality audio taper potentiometers, either 1K or 10K are also of interest.

A handful of 6E5 or 6AB5 magic eyes would also be great to get, I have some uses for those.

Last edited:
I play with tube gear too.:thumbsup:
I just recapped a Philco 48-250 last week. Once I stop spending so much on minibikes id like to build a dynaco st70.
As fate would have it I was sitting around at lunch today on the computer looking at a print for that....

And a couple of old Dynoco mono blocks ( using my big boy words now that make me sound smart lol )

I have been looking for a modest tube set and have been searching a little for one.
What is your opinion of that amp and what sort of speakers you run with it?

Those GU's are linears... I bet the military spec version is great for RF. Overkill in an audio amp.

My 11 Watt push-pull amp uses a quad of 6L6's... can use 6550's or EL-34's as well if I change the bias resistors. Have a new set of Czechoslovakian 6L6's in it now, they are bassy but lacking on the high end. Always looking for different tone from the tube amp. Would rather buy in multiples of 4, and have a B&K 747 to match mu and gain to make pairs.

High quality audio taper potentiometers, either 1K or 10K are also of interest.

A handful of 6E5 or 6AB5 magic eyes would also be great to get, I have some uses for those.
I am a novice wit this stuff, but looking at the technical specs the Gu-50 does look very strong and over built for audio work.
And its cool looking....

I would have to get some of those crazy Soviet sockets too.

MB165

Im a newbie on the tube hi-fi stuff too. from what I understand one tube watt is equal to 2-3 solid state watts.
I mainly have played alot on table top or console, dial strings, recaps, resistors, ive messed inside a few IF cans too, adding modern caps. and alignments too.

those Russian tubes have a knob on them, crazy.

A watt is a watt and as far as a amp is concerned if it is woorking properly and not clipping or pinching the loudness ( subjective term ) will be the same if they are both running a low distortion output.

From a practical perspective some people will push a tube amp farther ( guitar guys ) because they like the extra sound noise and power.

The amp you have is a farily old design that goes back to the 50s.
I think it was a kit but you could buy them from the factory built.

They have a reputation for having better than average transformers in them and I have looked at the design and it seems simple and straight forward ( less things in the way to condition the sound ).

Thats what I am looking for.
A reasonable small amp for home theater and listening to music.
It does not have to be loud ( if I get 10 watts thats probably reasonable )

Now later I can build a couple of big mono blocks based on similar designs and maybe use these big Russian tubes.
I have looked over the builds of some guys and feel a little intimidated by them yet but after I get one built think I will be fine.