Tubing benders

Well, so far I've got a small collection of parts for my new build but (oddly enough) no tubing. At this point I'm beginning my search for a decent tubing bender. The most likely suspect seems to be the JD Squared Model 3. Does anybody out there have any experience with this? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Henry

Hi Sunnyknoll , I bought a JD Squared model 3 bender and it works great, I couldn't be happier. I bought a 1'' tubing "dye" for mine on a 3 '' circle, but it bends smaller tubing good also no wrinkles, or ripples.

Ond and Pat; Thanks for the responses. From your comments, looks like the JD should do the job. I'll be bending mostly 7/8" x .083 at 3" center line radius. I was a little concerned about wrinkling or distortion. I actually thought filling the tubing with sand would help eliminate that potential but you've kind of put me at ease in that regard. Also looking to bend some 1 3/8" at a larger radius. I've done a lot of projects but this will be my first time fabricating tubing. Hoping for the best.

Thanks again, Henry

Hey Henry, woth these benders there is no need for sand. I actually have a project I've been working on that I used the bender with. It is in the projects area and called mrpats step thru. I have pics from the beginning, go check it out.

New guy on the board. I've had a JD2 bender since 1989. Good bender for the money. I have successfully bent 4130 tubing with .058 wall but wouldn't recommend anything thinner. I have a lot of dies starting with 1/2" all the way to 1 3/4". I've used it in automotive work, aircraft work, custom motorcycles and soon I will be bending up a mini bike!

Kevin, welcome and thanks for the input. Sounds like you've had some experience with JD. I think I'm just about sold on the JD Model 3. Now I just have to get "requisition approval" from the "head office" (ha). BTW, when you start on that mini, don't forget to post some photos. We love this stuff.

All the best, Henry