Twisters, bearcats, and hotshots

HI my name is Bob Tod I am one of the five sons of Jim Tod . My father was the man that built the twisters , bearcats, and hot shots, with Guy wakefield, Benny Griffin , Gale Boyd, and a few others back in the 60s and 70s.. I have been raceing motorcycles ever since. I am now 57 years old an my father is 88. and doin Ok,, my four brothers all live in Arizona where the bikes were built.. I have a shop in phx that rebuilds suspension for dirtbikes called Futureshoxs.com .. I have a couple Twisters. and Lookin for a Hot shot.. I stumble apon this website and saw a hotshot for sale but I cant post till I post five times. so hears a start.. If you have a hotshot and want to sell it call me 6232622073 Thank you Bob

I'm thinking KK should go out there and do an interview, take some pics, and write up another one of his awesome stories!!.................BTW.........Welcome Bob Tod!!...............:thumbsup:................Tom.

I'm thinking KK should go out there and do an interview, take some pics, and write up another one of his awesome stories!!.................Tom.
I'll have to see if Hent will pay my travel expenses....:biggrin:

Somebody recently gave me Mickey Rupp's home phone number....I been too scared to call him :mellow:

Somebody recently gave me Mickey Rupp's home phone number....I been too scared to call him :mellow:[/QUOTE]

Just call and tell him Cheezy says hey...and I won't make it for Easter dinner this year. :laugh:

james c

HI my name is Bob Tod I am one of the five sons of Jim Tod . My father was the man that built the twisters , bearcats, and hot shots, with Guy wakefield, Benny Griffin , Gale Boyd, and a few others back in the 60s and 70s.. I have been raceing motorcycles ever since. I am now 57 years old an my father is 88. and doin Ok,, my four brothers all live in Arizona where the bikes were built.. I have a shop in phx that rebuilds suspension for dirtbikes called Futureshoxs.com .. I have a couple Twisters. and Lookin for a Hot shot.. I stumble apon this website and saw a hotshot for sale but I cant post till I post five times. so hears a start.. If you have a hotshot and want to sell it call me 6232622073 Thank you Bob

hey bob,
would you know anything about this bike?
the tag claims to have been made in san diego area but sure looks like a bearkat?

Bob. I would like to see your fliers and information on the Hot Shot. I have been watching for one. too. A few twisters have popped up and usually sell quickly. They were a well made trail machine.

MB165

my father had a twister, i wanted it so bad for myself, it was a awesome machine.
i used to follow him on my cat 250x down cactus rd, up across the CAP on the road to tallyessin, then we'd make a left and ride out in the desert.

Sorry it took so long to get back on this site..ill try to answer some of the confusion. the picture someone sent is a twister an old one. the first twisters were an upgrade of the bearcat the bearcat had a huge rear tire and a small front tire no suspension or maybe just front springs. the early twisters were two jackshaft. 6hp briggs and the clutch were round tube welded to the frame. they later changed to a tube that sloped to the rear making the clutch protector longer .We stuck our boot heal in there to kill the motor. the last twisters to be built were single jackshaft 8 hp briggs with larger tires and wheels . not sure when my dad sold the company close to 1975. I think the new owners move the plant to new mexico.. Not sure what happened after that.. shortly after the sale Guy Wakefield of mesa az that worked for my dad and raced twisters many years. Started building the Hot shots ..only for a few years, I remember he would take the hot shots to mannzanita raceway a local oval track where they raced sprint cars and motorcycles and beat all the motorcycles..... I was about 16 years old at that time.... Guy is still alive and so is my dad guy is 78 and Jim Tod is 88 I just got them together on the phone conversation where they both spoke for a half hour,, It was very good for my Dad...I see a few twisters on craigslist every now and then, I bought a late model green one for 200 bucks in great shape . some people are trying to sell them for 1500 not sure if they ever will sell them. they cost new 494.00 dollars. I gave it to my Dad for his 85th birthday,,, he cried with happiness I an now goin to take it all apart and restore it ..with lots of crome and a red tuck and roll sparkle seat .I remember I would take my twister to the shop on saturdays and all the guys that worked for my Dad would help me work on it to make it faster. They milled the head with sand paper.. raize the loabs on the cam with a welder on put a bigger carb on it. I had to stand on the seat to start it. If I crashed in a race someone would have to restart it for me... I was only about 60 lbs I think it was about 12 hp.. time sure flys Ck my website www. futureshoxs.com thanks for reading Bob

If any one wants to call me feel free 6232622073 I do have a pile of old twister flyers Not anything about hotshots.. I am looking for one any condition