Two clutch/two speed setups?

MJL

Anyone run one? How is it? Use it off-road? Racing? I saw the one on the ballon tire bike build a while back and it has me intrigued.

Oldsalt

I remember them two speed clutch type set-ups. The problem as I recall is that they were weak. They had a 'sprag' [a 'one direction' device] in one of the jackshaft sprockets DSCF8952.JPG DSCF8954.JPG . The attached is a two speed trans that I, years ago, decided would be the high-zoot trans for a mini. It has a handle on the side to shift between high and low and a neutral. Don't know what it came off of but as can be seen by the tag it is from ENGLAND [not the politically correct 'British Isles']. It has 'ALBION' on the side cover. Albion was the outfit that made all the 4 speed transmissions for early Triumph, BSA, Royal Enfield, Matchless, AJS limey bikes. Been on the shelf for years as I never did anything with it.

desert rat

I remember them two speed clutch type set-ups. The problem as I recall is that they were weak. They had a 'sprag' [a 'one direction' device] in one of the jackshaft sprockets View attachment 273840 View attachment 273841 . The attached is a two speed trans that I, years ago, decided would be the high-zoot trans for a mini. It has a handle on the side to shift between high and low and a neutral. Don't know what it came off of but as can be seen by the tag it is from ENGLAND [not the politically correct 'British Isles']. It has 'ALBION' on the side cover. Albion was the outfit that made all the 4 speed transmissions for early Triumph, BSA, Royal Enfield, Matchless, AJS limey bikes. Been on the shelf for years as I never did anything with it.
That would have been a sneaky addition on a tote goat. Go from what 8 mile an hour to 10? Very cool unit. Still liking the game of wheres waldo;)

delray

i have seen few custom built two speed automatic clutch setups. both do take up little more room then a standard vintage mini bike setup does.
these clutch setups are made to handle more then a stock 5hp motor also. stock setup are all good for low hp motors and they still can break in time. also remember when running more then one chain and clutch setup that too can take away some power from the engine. not saying it's bad and all. just saying hp can be lost little to run a two speed..........:scooter: