Understanding Tire Sizes

My guess would be the sidewalls are actually 3.50...but I'm not sure.

Also note where it says "over the years tire dimensions have changed but the size label has remained the same"...whatever that means.

Both these tire say 4.00-6 and the one is noticeably narrow than the other :hammer: I've mounted up the skinny tire in hopes that the inner tube would expand it but it did not. It did fit against the rim but the tread width is much narrower that the other tire that was on the wheel.

Attachments

ive found lots of difference in lawn tires that were labeled the same, had two 15x5x6 that had about an inch difference in tread width. ive learned never to buy lawn tires in singles because of this, only pairs!!!

OK so my expertise can help here example 1 is wrong you dont count a half inch on the top and on the bottom its were the tire seats up on the rim its called the bead so gumpit is rite even if he don't know why and jkautofab is correct as well buy in pairs or find a disturber of 145/70/6 its a good little quad front tire that I think is perfect for db or motovox

Have 4 trikes. 3 of them hump on pavement and have 80s vintage Carlisle 22/11/8 tires, #4 trike has china atv tires, and rolls like a marble.. All the same trikes, I found the actual axle hub was 1/8 off from manufacturing process.. I got that true, but the tire itself is very much an oval. Would a person assume that there quality standards for atv/ ag tires was lower? How much can a person expect from a ballon tire? Im good with a different tire just been a Carlisle fan, till recently. Long story short is that I wanted to keep the vintage look etc, but cant ride it cuz square tires suck! lol looking for any advice , these are 20 mph trikes,.

Up-Date! One trike has v-rubber 22-11-8, last week I bought Carlisle 22-11-8... Totally different sizes. all I can say is must be rim width? mine are 9 inch. wide. I was told by ron that them old tires never was round, the way the rubber was laid on the mold? Sounds good to me, and my bike rolls very smooth now!

Have 4 trikes. 3 of them hump on pavement and have 80s vintage Carlisle 22/11/8 tires, #4 trike has china atv tires, and rolls like a marble.. All the same trikes, I found the actual axle hub was 1/8 off from manufacturing process.. I got that true, but the tire itself is very much an oval. Would a person assume that there quality standards for atv/ ag tires was lower? How much can a person expect from a ballon tire? Im good with a different tire just been a Carlisle fan, till recently. Long story short is that I wanted to keep the vintage look etc, but cant ride it cuz square tires suck! lol looking for any advice , these are 20 mph trikes,.
I have had the same experience with Carlisle tires in that size on 3 different 3 wheelers. 1 Yamaha and 2 Hondas. For that reason I wont buy another Carlisle tire. And if you let them sit slack they seem to be even more out of round when you air them up. Keep adding pressure and the keep growing out of round... I put factory Ohtsu tires on the Hondas and it fixed both of them. I sod the Yamaha and fixed that one too... I bought the Carlisle's new too. Another thing about a Carlisle is that they are way heavier than the other tires were. I don't know what to recommend in that size but the Carlisle's don't seem to be the choice in my experience. My Carlisle tire experience was in the 90's so mine were newer production than yours and still did it even brand new.

markus

480-400x 8 is that close to a 200 x 50?
about triple the size :laugh:

Heres the 200x50 on a Flee micro bike I had (its and 8" tall tire for a 4" wheel):

compared to the 4.80 4.00 x 8 on the Powell I had

Just a "titch" larger :biggrin:

Last edited:
Why does it cost lots of money for a 14-6 coker tire? I was told that it was the closest to a 4.00-6. There are several different sized tires that sound close but? What about a 5.80/4.10-6, or145/70/6? The front is smaller at 4.10/3.50-6, I checked and back tire size is to big to fit the front width wise. Its like a cross between metric and standard sizes with out a size chart to go by. I am thinking just putting 2 4.10/3.50-6 tires on it. I did see 4.10-6 not sure if it is the same as 4.10/3.50-6 or not. It would help if all the tires had the real sizes listed.