Update on Sportsman's Cycle barn find

Cleaned the carb, changed the oil, new brake cable and pad, and converted the points system over to Electronic Ignition. Took the torque converter apart, cleaned some surface rust off the giant ball bearings and lightly greased everything inside.

Smokes just a little, but seems to run really good other than that. We've got some very steep hills on the property, this has no trouble climbing them.

Front and Rear tires are both brand new with new tubes. Took a 36" pry bar to get the dry old 6-ply tractor tire off the rim, and almost as fun to get the new one back on.

I had an extra seat cover from one of my ATC110 projects, which was just about the perfect size. Shaped some seat cushion foam and stapled it to some 3/4" plywood, makes for a much softer ride now.

I thought about repainting / restoring, but I kind of like the old patina.

I'm going to pick up a couple of old 50 caliber ammo boxes and bolt them to the back for saddlebags.

Attachments

Last edited:

chrisr

I am not a body guy, but I think some people spray a clear coat over the patina to keep it in its natural/stressed state. Maybe some with that experience can chime in.