Upgraded Doodle Bug

den35

Today I aquired the last parts I needed for the engine swap and got to work.
Here's the results.

I put in a new Wasp 5.5hp engine and a Max-Torque clutch.

And I am VERY happy with the results.Lots of torque.Even pulls the front wheel off the ground at full throttle.

den35

Thanks.The next mod I have to work out though is some kind of cover for that clutch,before it nibbles someones ankle off.:doah:

Den,
I believe it was delray that made a chain guard out of an old pot that he found at a yard sale, it turned out pretty good check out his threads you'll find the idea fastinating, i think!
dave

Nice! I noticed you used the stock mounting plate. Did you have to drill new holes? How did you line up the chain with the clutch sprocket? Did you do it by eye or did you use a straight edge ?

den35

I did the eyeball method to line up the chain drive.I also rolled the chain back and forth to check for binding before marking.
Here's how it went.

1.Put the engine on the plate.
2.Drape the chain over the clutch sprocket and tap the engine into position so the chain sits straight.
3.Scratch lines at the 4 corners of the engine base into the paint on the mounting plate.
4.Remove the engine and make a paper template of the engine base.Remember to mark and cut out the holes.
5.Line up the template with the scratch lines and mark the hole locations.
6.Drill 4 holes,set the engine on the plate and bolt it up.

More than one greenhorn move here,but it worked for me.:wink:

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, but how do you adjust chain tension without slotted holes? Do you still have the chain adjuster on the bike? Will that provide enough adjustment?

den35

The factory tensioner is working for now,but I'm plotting to make up a new tensioner in the near future.Something with a bit more adjustment room.

den35

I pulled it off again.Simply added a 3" length of flatbar between the roller and the frame.It moved the tensioner roller back an inch and got the chain tension perfectly set.And I still have room to adjust.

I think I'm getting the hang of the garage mod game.:wink: