USA/CAN border customs

I am going to be going to Windber in june and plan on taking 3 minibikes to ride / show.
As you all know very few minibikes have serial numbers or registration and in fact one of my bikes is a total custom scratch build so has no numbers.
What problems can I anticipate or avoid at the can/us border.
Should I try to get some sort of signed statement kind of deal to prove they are mine.
Any sugestions or advice would be helpfull , as I am not much of a world traveller lol.
Rob.

chadillac

I thought about this, my girlfriend bought my frame from a guy from this site in mich. they did even ask much about it. they were like that's cool what ya pay for it . she told them 300 and they were cool about it and waved her through. I recently crossed to go to a vintage bike show in ann arbor mich and the guy asked how i heard about it. I told him online. he asked me if i had any bikes i said no and again waved me through. I was more concerned about bringing it back to canada. thought i would take a pick of it my my city sign, so if they questioned it thinking i bought it in the us i could show them the pictures.. I plan on taking my bike to detroit crossing. Where did you plan on crossing?

I guess I will have to make a few phone calls , do some research.
Ya chad I thought about taking some proof shots as well , I will be crossing at the Maine/Newbrunswick border.
Are you heading to Windber too?
Rob

MikeBear

I am going to be going to Windber in june and plan on taking 3 minibikes to ride / show.
As you all know very few minibikes have serial numbers or registration and in fact one of my bikes is a total custom scratch build so has no numbers.
What problems can I anticipate or avoid at the can/us border.
Should I try to get some sort of signed statement kind of deal to prove they are mine.
Any sugestions or advice would be helpfull , as I am not much of a world traveller lol.
Rob.
Have receipts showing your purchase of parts and such, to prove ownership. If you no longer have them, fake some up from what you remember paying. That will help you out, since you have no registrations.

Well I made a few phone calls today and I think it will be no problem.
I have to stop at canadian customs on the way out of the country and get a " temporary export document " showing what I am taking into the US and returning with the same.
I am advised that I should do the same with any camera , laptop, tools that I will be useing on the trip.
Rob.

WrenchDad

The last time I was in Canada (08 or 09) Just before they required passports Ithink. Comming into Canada they wanted to know why we were there,(bussiness or pleasure) We told them "fishing trip" , they asked where and if we had anything to declare.
Comming back into the states. They check the line of cars with a sniffing dog (mostly for drugs and explosives) they asked for I.D. and why we were comming to the states. We said we live in the U.S. they asked where and if we had anything to declare. They never asked to see anything. However some people with trailers or open pickup's that were packed with stuff they could'nt see into they would pull over. I think mostly they are checking for contraband I dont think they will bother you. a truck infront of us had four quads on a trailer and other than stopping at the shack they went right through.
It might be different now but it wasnt that strict a few years ago

OMG don't get me started on those crossing guards, Canada is a beautiful country but the last time we visited there was when I was still employed in law enforcement and when I got to the canadian side the female at the little shack started her line of question - where you going, why you here, what do you do for a living BUZZZZZZ, pull over there for inspection. I guess she thought I had a gun with me - no b-tch i'm not that stupid, yup you guessed it they pretty much took the car apart. I told one of the officers if you would like to confirm who I was they could call my work they are there 24 hours a day my ID is in the glove box. Needless to say about a hour or so later we were on our way. Sorry Canada I won't be back:2guns:

TomH

I had to have a passport to cross in a big truck. Never messed with me too much, usual questions. Tried not to look too impatient because of the long delay so they wouldn't take my truck apart.

Rob and to think I was gonna tip them off to look for a really big guy with some funny stuff stuck in his twin headers:laugh::laugh: You're lucky I'm letting you get off easy.

Good Luck:scooter: