UT2 head compared to my box stock.

So I bought this UT2 head and was pretty excited about it. It has a 18cc chamber so it raises compression on my 196 and it has a 26mm intake valve. Last night I found it had a 23mm exhaust not a 24mm as well. I thought O great as the GX200 and clones have disproportionate sized valves anyways. Well I decided to start porting my BSP head I had laying around. I now think I should have bought a GX200 head and had a 27mm valve installed and the head milled. Even the quality is better on the BSP head.

Head1.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
As you can see the ports on the GX196 head on the left is larger. This is true every were in the port. The port on the 196 looks cast better, cleaner and shaped better were it transitions in to the bowl area from the port. head2.jpg head3.jpg

Last edited:
head4.jpg head5.jpg ... The ported head is the UT2 on the left.

If you look at the sided of the ports in comparison to the valve guide you can see how the ports are shaped quiet a bit different. The UT2 head is more narrow and restrictive were the port enters the bowl. Click back and forth on the pictures and you see how much more narrow the UT2 port roof is. I have already ported the UT2 head too. It was a mild clean up but still...

Last edited:
head8.jpg head9.jpg

This is the BSP being leaked checked with WD40 after I lapped the valves. :thumbsup: Going to finish porting the BSP as I only focused on the short side radius. I use about a .25" wide by about 8" piece of 120 grit emery cloth to round it. Will be nice to test this head next to the stock head on my Coleman CT200U later.

Last edited:
O ya forgot to mention. My box stock head did not have the valves lapped form the factory is this normal? Dose the factory not lap the valves on these motors? Also can a person reuse a new head gasket?

SAS289

I have reused head gaskets on 3 of these engines. These were stock engines and the gasket did not stick to either surface when the head was removed. And I would only do it once. If I was building a higher compression performance engine I would never reuse a head gasket.

ported1.jpg ported2.jpg ported3.jpg ported4.jpg

Here are a few pictures after I decided to port the heads. I decided after posting this thread that I should try to clean the bowl area with the dremel. Still working on them and will probably finish them with 120 grit emery cloth by hand but like how things are going so far. The UT2 looks way better now that it is ported. The BSP is a lot easier to port than the UT2 as the bowl is wider were it connects to the throat. They both still need work but its a start and am happy so far. I already took some emery to some spots and it made them dark so you can not see the full shape of what I did in 3 of the pictures. The picture of where the port is still dirty shows the ported area pretty well. There is a lot of dark areas due to the emery and also because I washed it all with penetrating spray. Things look a lot better in person. Going away for a few leeks though so will come back and finish things then. Going on an epic road trip :) Wish I could take the mini but it dose not have tags yet or the lights and horn :( Would have been nice. I ya I modified a rocker too. I messed one up but one turned out good. I need a dial indicator so I can see how much it adds to the lift now. I think I have one at work. It will take me a few weeks to post this for you guys.

I have reused head gaskets on 3 of these engines. These were stock engines and the gasket did not stick to either surface when the head was removed. And I would only do it once. If I was building a higher compression performance engine I would never reuse a head gasket.
Thanks I have a new gasket from my BSP that has never been ran and would love to reuse it on the CT200 as the motor is just a budget test motor. Just doing fun, budget back yard mechanic stuff to it at the moment. Plan on taking the head off and on a few times for a few different reasons.