Valve lash

RSN

My valves look different than the one in the YouTube videos. Do I set the lash with the top screw? It seems like it's ether tight or loose- no way to set the lash. But I am new to these things. Sitting here looking at this thing now. Replaced the springs but now I am confused about tightening it all down...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RSN

Decided to just stop and put it back together with original springs - don't need em yet anyway. OF COURSE, IT WONT START NOW.

Why?

RSN

So, the threaded screw needs to be adjusted and then the nut on top. Ah... Understand now.
Didn't think I moved that screw at all but must have while tightening the nut a bit?
Sensitive lil fella. Ok. So, I will remove the valve cover again tomorrow, and adjust the lash. I will use some needle nose pliers to adjust the screw... shorten the gap to .003, then put the nut back on. Correct?

RSN

I may be wrong... Looking at it. Is there a write up? Or just a short explanation and I will run with it. Thanks all.

Decided to just stop and put it back together with original springs - don't need em yet anyway. OF COURSE, IT WONT START NOW.

Why?

Need to make sure both valves are loose before you start adjusting. Best way I've found is to pull the spark plug out and watch the piston come up to the top or TDC, if one valve is still tight ..roll the engine over again slowly till the piston comes up again. Both valves or rocker arms need to be slightly loose thats when its on a compression stroke, and time to adjust.

RSN

Ok. I'll try that. Both seemed very tight... No give, so I will roll it over until I get some wiggle room. Thanks.

Ok. I'll try that. Both seemed very tight... No give, so I will roll it over until I get some wiggle room. Thanks.

Nut is the jam nut ot lock nut, loosen it and turn the little screw to adjust, then jam the nut down to hold your adjustment.

RSN

So a gap the size of a paper width is keeping the engine from starting? Or lack of?

RSN

I believe the valve lash is set. .003. I feel good about it. I put everything back together and tried to pull start. The pull hand grip yanked so hard out of my hand I may have a broken thumb. (Seriously... I am kind of a wimp about stuff but I think it's damaged beyond repair and I may have to be euthanized)

For the next owner... (Due to my untimely death) What happened? Is the lash still off? Too tight?
I haven't changed anything else. Stock springs are still in.

Sincerely
Limbless in Lexington
;)

RSN

Wait... On switch. Gotta turn the gas on.
Updates after baby wakes up. I keep the bike next to her crib in her room.

That is a joke. The bike sleeps in her crib... Baby in garage.

Again... Joke.

Removed thumb to save body.
Mounted it to front of the Cheeftah.
Looks great.

Sorry to hear about your thumb :no: lol. But it will look good on the front of your bike .:thumbsup:

Last edited:
If its that hard to pull then the valves are to louse and the compression release is not working .
I think you may be trying to set them on the exhaust stroke .

Also set the valves between one thou and zero . Why you ask cause when the motor heats up 3 thou will be 5 or 6 thou .

Last edited:

RSN

If its that hard to pull then the valves are to louse and the compression release is not working .
I think you may be trying to set them on the exhaust stroke .

Also set the valves between one thou and zero . Why you ask cause when the motor heats up 3 thou will be 5 or 6 thou .
This is the what has happened. Thanks.
Ps, bike healed my thumb overnight and I was able to reattach it with duct tape.

Note; (The keyway on the crank is aligned with the cylinder when the piston is at TDC;) Turn the ENGINE! over until you see the ex. valve open,keep turning it will BUMP open again (this is the comp release);Turn a few degrees more,(a shade) past TDC,Key will still(approx) be lined up w/cyl. Adj. valves to (zero .000),Lash Cold, they will open up as the Eng. heats..........Works every time in MY SHOP!!!!!!!!!!! Zero Lash = pushrod can be Easily turned with Fingers:shrug::sleeping:

Last edited:

RSN

Ok. I pulled the spark plug and it pulls smooth.
I'll adjust the lash a bit and try again.
Thanks again.