Valve springs

I have a WF engine with an ANMod01 cam with 1.3 rockers, shaved head, oversized valves with green stripe springs. I believe that the valves are floating at around 7k because it starts blowing fire out of the exhaust and spitting out of the carb. The lash is not too tight. What springs should I use for this? Or what changes should I make if that is what is needed? Timing is 34 deg on alky. Carb is tm24 mikuni. All help will be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a similar setup what jetting are you using?

Oz

What size is a AN mod01 cam ? And are the green stripes 26 lb like in the clones . I have a hemi predator with a black mamba and 1.3 s and we run 37 lb in it with a RTC 6 head and a lot of compression. She's pulls good to the mid 8s .
If you don't want to go to big try 32 lb springs .

trinik7597

No green stripe Briggs springs are 36# duals ... Honestly I think the 1.3's are the problem .. That cam calls for 36's and rpm range is 9000 .. More lift than the 308 .. Why would you want 1.3's on it ?? Just curious

No green stripe Briggs springs are 36# duals ... Honestly I think the 1.3's are the problem .. That cam calls for 36's and rpm range is 9000 .. More lift than the 308 .. Why would you want 1.3's on it ?? Just curious
I was trying to run a tm28, that is why I had the 1.3's but I will change them and try again.

What size is a AN mod01 cam ? And are the green stripes 26 lb like in the clones . I have a hemi predator with a black mamba and 1.3 s and we run 37 lb in it with a RTC 6 head and a lot of compression. She's pulls good to the mid 8s .
If you don't want to go to big try 32 lb springs .
What is the lift on a BM cam?

trinik7597

Mamba is 275 lift 246 duration 108 LSA ... I am not saying for sure that is the issue .. But it is a big cam already and the 1.3's might be causing you problems instead of helping

The AnMOD1 cam is .310 lift. Sounds to me like you are running into coil bind or very close to it with the 1.3 rockers. Hench the banging and popping. The last animal motor I built with a AnMOD1 cam and 1.3 roller rockers, I had to use some .100 offset valve spring retainers from Comp Cams. P/N GP 760-2. These solved my spring coil clearance issues. This motor regularly sees 8200-8500rpm without issues. I'm also pretty sure I used green stripe springs. You may want to consider going to the white stripe springs.

Last edited:
The AnMOD1 cam is .310 lift. Sounds to me like you are running into coil bind or very close to it with the 1.3 rockers. Hench the banging and popping. The last animal motor I built with a AnMOD1 cam and 1.3 roller rockers, I had to use some .100 offset valve spring retainers from Comp Cams. P/N GP 760-2. These solved my spring coil clearance issues. This motor regularly sees 8200-8500rpm without issues. I'm also pretty sure I used green stripe springs. You may want to consider going to the white stripe springs.
I have the same setup as you do. How about valve length, mine are stock length.