VC460 Balance Shaft Noise

The balance shaft in my 460 seems to have some play in the gears, is it necessary for balancing the motor or can I just remove it all together?? Thanks!

chrisr

The balance shaft in my 460 seems to have some play in the gears, is it necessary for balancing the motor or can I just remove it all together?? Thanks!
Not sure if this is what you are hearing, but on my vc460 you could hear a clank when it came up to TDC when turning it over the engine by hand and the spark plug removed. When running, you could hear this clank if using a muffler, but not with an open header. I put in a stock 420 cam and/or a new torque cam from NRracing and the noise went away; seems the vc460 cam was the culprit for this clank.

Interesting about that noise, yeah I pulled off the side cover made sure everything tight. It was, except for the balance shaft seeming to have some play but I will try running it with an open header see if that changes the noise, if not I will take out the balance shaft and run it to see if that was causing the noise cuz it definitely sounds like there's something loose in there. it does make the noise when you turn it over by hand also like you had said. Or maybe I'll just order a cam! I'll let you know what I figure out. Thanks again

chrisr

I ended up going with the 390CAM-280-0211 Camshaft, 280 0211, GX390 (Approx .280 lift and 220 duration (at .050)) from NRracing along with the campion shaft mounted rocker arms and new push rods.

i toss the balance shaft but it shakes alot it will almost bounce the front tire at around 2500 rpm otherwise it fine i have hondas 270 and 390 i also removed the bearings on the cover and block too if you just cruise i wouldnt remove it