Vegas Cart 460cc

Anyone use one of the builder kits?

I am putting together plans to build a proper drag-type frame. The original plan was to build thr frame around my mild Predator Hemi that I built last year, but I feel I might need to go faster, and instead of building a more serious smallblock, I was entertaining a big block. I could have the frame accommodate both.

I am no lightweight 200+lb, so the torque and the "area under the curve" of the big block seems appealing. I would likely couple this with a Jr dragster style clutch.

I haven't found many builds using the vegas cart 460cc as a starting point. Anyone use one? Anyone have any links to build threads?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I bought one last year , put it on a bigger mini bike . The bike with me on it weighs 400 lbs. At Milan Dragway I went 11.60 in the 1/8 mile. I seen another bike at Milan with a Vegas Kart big block running 9.70 in the 1/8 mile. Lighter bike and rider.

How serious is your build?
I'm still undecided on how fast I'd like to go. Have to be pretty serious to be "fast" around here
I'm hoping to keep the weight down a little, but my current stretched DB30 with a SB is 105lbs.

Been thinking of using this kit on my new 420 as well. For me its a cheaper cost to performance ratio than buying and building another 196 or 212 at the moment. Its pretty easy to put $500 or $600 in to a small block. This 460 kit is cheep for what it is. Get it and let us know how it goes.

The VC460 block is a strong starting point. I dig the 10-bolt cover.
500cc and 45-50hp isn't too tough to build.
Blocks look out of stock, ATM, though.
It is quite a bit wider, if that concerns you, and a drag build really needs a remote starter.
I'd ditch the shroud and run a finless flywheel, for drag, to narrow it up a LOT. The big Polar/etc clutch makes a wide package.

I'm still waiting to see how tough the VC625 single is...

Essentially. Bigger bore 92/90, longer stroke 69/66, 3 more bolts on the side cover.
It also has a longer connecting rod... 4.51" instead of 4.45" and a flat top piston instead of dished. Has anyone tried this set up yet? They also have a pressure lubricated 625cc single cylinder. It looks a little bigger but very promising.

chrisr

OK, just ordered the Vegas Carts 460cc Go Kart Racing Engine - DIY Assembly. Will try to put it together on school break in December and let you know how it goes :).

chrisr

As an update, I got the 460cc engine assembled and ran it on the engine stand last night and it fired right up and sounded great. Its rainy and cold, as soon as it warms up I will let you all know how it runs going down the highway.

65ShelbyClone

I am no lightweight 200+lb, so the torque and the "area under the curve" of the big block seems appealing. I would likely couple this with a Jr dragster style clutch
You probably know this, but just sayin'...

More torque is rarely a bad thing because it means power increases wherever torque increased. That said, the clutch you're talking about makes it less important. It can be set to keep the engine at or near peak power down the whole track. That is where it is doing the most work to accelerate the bike rather than at the torque peak.

I was watching an onboard Jr dragster video for a 7.90 index car and the engine rpm was constant down the whole 1/8th. Conversely, I see those Detroit minibike races and the ones with stock TAVs don't really start moving until half track when the revs begin to climb.

I'm still waiting to see how tough the VC625 single is...
It might be okay at governed speeds, but I don't like the flimsy plastic oil pump gear. The engine is completely reliant on that piece of plastic to avoid catastrophic failure. The Cars&Cameras crew think they seized the Predator 670 due to a failed plastic pump gear.

You probably know this, but just sayin'...
It might be okay at governed speeds, but I don't like the flimsy plastic oil pump gear. The engine is completely reliant on that piece of plastic to avoid catastrophic failure. The Cars&Cameras crew think they seized the Predator 670 due to a failed plastic pump gear.
Somebody make a billet pump gear and/or relief valve for excess oil in the gallery like an automotive engine?

65ShelbyClone

Billet steel would be the obvious choice for aftermarket low-production, but for mass production even just a powdered metal gear would be substantially better. Fortunately the engine is designed for pressurized oiling, so an external pump and/or dry sump could be used for a really serious build.

65ShelbyClone

I wouldn't say failures are rare; Kawasaki Vulcans and Nomads are well-known for it. So are some Betas (that have three plastic oil pump gears) and Triumphs among others. Some bikes don't have problems. My gripe is that plastic gears take a critical, hard-to-access part that would normally outlast the engine and turn it into a service part.

chrisr

Been doing some work on the vc460 and wanted to send a quick update. The original cam that came with vc460 seemed to make some cam noise and with an open header you would have never noticed it, but with it in the motorcycle with a quite muffler it was very annoying - at least to me.

1. On my motorcycle, I swapped the stock Predator 420 (ungoverned) for the vc460 leaving the vc460 carb the same on both test runs with a 1mm jet and the 420 had a much better top speed and acceleration.
2. Installed lighter 40 springs and weights in the driver bringing the stall speed up from 1600 to 2600. With the vc460 plus the higher stall speed got me back to almost the same top speed and acceleration as with the stock 420.
3. Installed a 390CAM-280-0211 Camshaft, 280 0211, GX390 (Approx .280 lift and 220 duration (at .050)), 50lb springs from NRracing along with the campion shaft mounted rocker arms and 6.74 pushrods. Still with 2600 stall speed, now has the best top speed and acceleration yet.

With that said, I am happy with money spent regarding the vc460.

The vc460 is now coming with the campion shaft mounted rocker arms and upgraded carb to name a few.
https://vegascarts.com/products/460cc-go-kart-racing-engine-diy-assembly?variant=12399580905516