VESPA Scooter Scratch built by Jeep2003

This bike will be a scooter looking like an old Vespa but smaller. Im using 4" wheels from an Arco. The engine is an old 2 stroke Tecumseh I think from a little snowblower. It runs good and seems powerful enough. I filed down the shaft to fit the 5/8" clutch. The old one was small with a big sprocket on a stepped shaft. I have 2 other newer engines like that one but I dont know how well they run and this one looks cooler. The others have a bigger shroud to work with electric start. Im going to use pipe from an old lally column for the frame going up to the neck and work my way back building the rear portion to resemble the shape of a vespa. I have a nice white bicycle seat for it. I cut an old helmet in half thinking I can use it for the side pods so we'll see how that goes. It should be a pretty simple build. The hard part will be the rear portion of the body I think and getting that as Vespa like as I can. Im not going for exact I just want it to look good not weird.

Thanks guys Its going well I got the frame started. Also bought some 3/4 and 5/8" rod today for the steering column and axle. I started on the front fork also. I made it out of flat bar it seems strong enough and im going to make the front fender cover the fork its going to be similar to the hiawatha doodlebug fender

Thanks guys Ill try to keep the pics updated as I go. Today I got the fork done and the fender going. I used a 4" exhaust pipe for the fender. It had two bends in it so I cut out the outer sections to use and spliced them together so its nice and rounded. Im not sure what side profile to use yet I'll have to stare at it some more. But Im going to use a little aluminum fence post cap for the headlight on the fender. I cut out a little plastic lense for it out of the bottom of a nuts jar. I might even make it work. I can probrobly take apart a harbor freight Led flashlight and run a wire to the back for the battery box. The back section is going to be packed tight. I think im going to use an air filter from a harbor freight 79cc engine I have. Ill just have to make a pipe to the carb for it. The gas tank Is the big dilema. I think I can fit it above the carb but there is going to be no extra room thats for sure. I might make a custom fit tank for it but Id rather avoid that if I can. Also need a 4" band brake so I guess Ill have to spend a few bucks on this thing. Bummer lol

buckeye

Again, how,in the world do you sleep?
Your mind has to be constantly moving.

Love your builds and am always in awe. Very nice.

Jeep,
watching your build, It's going to be fun to see this bike come together. The fence post cap is a great idea, looks like the perfect shape and size.

Scott

Are you kidding buckeye this thing is practically building itself :) lol It is going very well. I started on the tubing for the seat post area infront of the engine. I should have taken a pic to explain this better but at the front of the seat where all the tubing will intersect im going to use an old trailer ball. The cool part about it has a hole through it so im going to use that for a rod that will go back to the spark plug kill switch prong. Also I found the back sections of the exhaust tubing I cut off for front fender can be used to smooth out the angles of the frame piping to the front neck. I cant wait to get the framework done so I can start putting sheetmetal on it. Theres going to be a ton of welding and grinding but Itll look great

Brian, Tom/Buckeye is right :thumbsup: Just the way you have some thing in your mind and just build it out of what you can find is remarkable :thumbsup: You do some of the best fab work with well for lack of a better word "crap" :thumbsup: not many of us would even think about using some of the things you do to make what they weren't into what you envision :thumbsup:

Thanks you guys are the best :) Karen I didnt forget about youre little progect Im almost done. Just have had a bit too many progects going on at once.
So heres what I was explaining with the hitch ball and kill switch rod. I made a video Ill be posting shortly.