Veterans Day thoughts

We were returning from Madison Wisconsin last night after picking up another mini. This one is a Honda Z50A, one just like the other one we have that is identical. With two boys in our family who are now in their 40's and they both think they should have the Z. We thought it was the only way to get through Christmas without WW3 breaking out by giving them each one. They will draw straws who gets the original one and they both have about the same amount of battle scars from use! I thought of what my Dad would have said if he was alive today and saw what we did. It was the eve of Veterans Day and I felt I had to make a FB post about a situation that happened some years ago that involved trips to the VA. I called it the 'scars of freedom' and it was about what I saw as I sat in the waiting room of the VA clinic waiting for my Dad's appt. to be over. The men who i saw walking down the hall were a mixture of doing well and not doing well. It gave me a sense of pride watching these people and wondering what their service to our country had been. Both internal and external scars were no doubt carried by some. Thank God we live a country that is free, even though that freedom come at a cost to human life. Veterans Day in our family is something that we will always honor.

The debt we owe to our veterans is one that can never be repaid. Their service is the foundation of the freedoms we all enjoy. War casualties, time away from loved ones and dedication to duty are investments given unselfishly by them so we may prosper. Our "Thank Yous" fall short but intrinsic appreciation of their sacrifices hopefully helps heal the wounds of service. Thank you to ALL who have served!

Fred

Thank you for starting this thread. We owe so much to the veterans! Every year when this day rolls around I think (again) of my father who served 4 years on the heavy battleship U.S.S. Massachusetts during WW2 as an engine room mechanic. He passed in 2003 at age 80 after living a good life and (especially) enjoying his retirement that was spent in Redding, CA. where he and my mother lived in a home out in the country on 4 acres.
Michael