Vintage B&S wont start, what is missing from this picture (carb)

Some missing springs and linkage are preventing me from hooking up a throttle cable and maybe part of the dreaded no-start problem as well. (Good spark, fresh gas, good compression) Any idea where I may be able to get needed parts? It's a 1958!
Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 3.54.24 PM.png

Last edited:
If you have good spark, its probably the carb. Give it a good cleaning, check the needle and replace the diaphragm. OldMiniBikes has the throttle parts you need.

and replace the diaphragm.
1958 predates the diaphragm carbs.
This is a vacujet. Pulsajet is a later carb and used a diphragm. bs vacujet carb.jpg
The missing parts will not result in a "no start" condition.
Place a tablespoon of gas in choke opening of carb and then try to start.
Should run for a short burst.
If does not fire, then you have an ignition problem.

Last edited:
Looking at your photo, its the screw with the spring. The needle needs to be clean and not damaged. The diaphram is probably shot also. If you go to "pats small engines", He has the carb break down diagram.

Looking at your photo, its the screw with the spring. The needle needs to be clean and not damaged. The diaphram is probably shot also. If you go to "pats small engines", He has the carb break down diagram.
That is a "Vacu-Jet" carb (not a "Pulsa- Jet") - There is no diaphram in these carbs.
Michael

Harquebus

The top "cam" that operates the throttle butterfly and which is usually integral with the throttle shaft (pressed together) is gone. This is leaving you with nothing to attach the throttle cable to. Where it goes is in the vertical hole in the middle of the carb.

Your cable can attach directly to the throttle butterfly or to whatever throttle/governor linkages ran along the side of the carb, which also appear to be missing.

EDIT--or maybe it's there. The carb looks so corroded and covered with what looks like green verdigris, that I cannot tell what I'm looking at. :doah:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I had the carb and the tank soaking in a gallon of carb/parts cleaner. Forgive me but where is the needle?
To do a proper/thorough carb cleaning you will need to remove the carb from the tank (you will need a new carb to tank gasket when you reinstall). Make sure that the fuel pickup tube is clear and (especially) check that the tiny screen on the end of the fuel pick up tube is not clogged. Be careful with it as it is very fragile and easily damaged.
Michael

To do a proper/thorough carb cleaning you will need to remove the carb from the tank (you will need a new carb to tank gasket when you reinstall). Make sure that the fuel pickup tube is clear and (especially) check that the tiny screen on the end of the fuel pick up tube is not clogged. Be careful with it as it is very fragile and easily damaged.
Michael
Thanks for the replies guys. I soaked the carb and gas tank in a gallon of parts cleaner for a week. It removed most of the paint in the process leaving the tank squeaky clean inside and out. The carb developed green oxidation after the soak. I have ordred a new needle and two gaskets. It will fire with starter fluid. The tiny screen on the bottom of the pick up tube fell off so I ordered a new tube as well.