Vintage Briggs & Stratton Engine ID Help

Can someone tell me the year a hp on this little Briggs engine ?
Model 92502
Type 3105 01
Code 85020706
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I believe that that is a pull shroud off of an old lawnmower. Would have been a 3.5hp made in 1985. Since that is most likely not the original pull starter it is harder to tell the year. What colour is the block?

That motor is either a 2 or a 3hp. There are multiple ways to tell. If you look between the fins on the head you should find a number. 8 or 8c is 3hp and 6 would be 2hp.

If you still cannot find the horsepower, take a look at the shaft. If it's a 5/8 shaft it is likely a 2hp. If it is a 3/4 its likely a 3hp. You could open the crankcase and look at the rod bolts. If they are on an angle, it is a 3hp and straight down (like the 5hp) would be a 2hp.

Hope some of this made sense! :thumbsup:

Funny, I recently finished a 61 identical to that, but swapped it to pulsa jet. Mine was cast iron bore. I'd say 95% of red motors were made in the 60s, so if yours is red, it's probably a 60s motor. :laugh:

I have this or a similar engine which I believe is 3hp. What I would like to know is what type of carb this is. I require some spares for it but can find no information about it at all.