Vintage Class - 1966 Lil Indian

Truckasaurus44's Vintage Class - 1966 Lil Indian

Happy New Year! Here's my 1966!

I'm planning to do this one as original as I can. The engine is the original 1966 2.25HP and was originally silver. The fender will be ditched since I doubted it had fenders.

Last edited:
It looks like I may need to retail the fenders. When I got the bike the front fender was mounted with conduit clamps. I didn't think it was original and the fenders were added later. however, check this out. The fenders match mine AND, the color is even a dead ringer for my bike. I may have to match my paint to that ugly original blue after all:

I'll take some pics of the fender later, along with a pick of the caliper.

I found the fender and after some sanding and polishing, it is clear that they were matched to the bike. Actually, they may be the best place to find a section to color match off of. Here's the fender and caliper:

It's always cool to see something different that you didn't know before. I never caught that fender being that way when I was digging around looking at the old ads and such.

Very cool! :thumbsup: You know I'll be watching and looking forward to seeing it at Windber! :wink:

Thanks AJ. It'll be there. Yeah, I didn't think the fenders were original when I bought it, and seeing as my 2.25HP engine makes it a 400, I didn't think it would have come with fenders.

I just happened upon this add on google images recently and noticed that the fenders matched mine. Maybe the 400 didn't come with fenders as a standard but you could add them on? After digging into their paint and seeing that the original color was the same dark blue as the frame, I'm sure they are original 66 Lil Indian fenders. They will be recovered and re-used

Thanks AJ. It'll be there. Yeah, I didn't think the fenders were original when I bought it, and seeing as my 2.25HP engine makes it a 400, I didn't think it would have come with fenders.

I just happened upon this add on google images recently and noticed that the fenders matched mine. Maybe the 400 didn't come with fenders as a standard but you could add them on? After digging into their paint and seeing that the original color was the same dark blue as the frame, I'm sure they are original 66 Lil Indian fenders. They will be recovered and re-used
In an Allied Leisure catalog you'll find that you could have bought anything at about any given time. Being how that fender was stock on that bike (which is also a 2-speed) the original owner of your probably bought the fenders later and added them to their bike or had the shop where they purchased them at put them on. I'm sure you probably could have had it special ordered as well. I can imagine that any shop selling a lot of minis could special order a bike for a customer. If the fenders are the same color as the bike I'd guess it was ordered that way.

Ugh, I've been slacking, thanks to the snow and the flu. Finally did some minor teardown. I should have it all ripped up by tonight and I'll get some new pics up.

Yeah, now that we're finally thawed out, I should be able to get rolling. I've got to clean up the frame and get it blasted next. Then rip into the motor while the frame is out.

Don't worry. This project ain't dead. It just got frozen for a while.

PROGRESS!! I've cleaned up the weld at the neck area of the frame! I just need to clean up the peg-tube ends and then its off to get blasted and painted while I turn my attention to the arrival of my third child!!! She's scheduled for 4/7, so my blaster/coater better have the frame and wheels before then!!! WISH ME LUCK!!! I did a little more sanding after these pics and I believe I'm at the point where I'd powder coat this frame, no worries.

Hopefully, I can give the engine a once over and have it painted and ready for the frame when it gets done. We'll see...but as long as I've got a roller ready soon, I'll be on track to finish in time for the build off. I may even shoot to have it done for the Hot Dog Hut show on 4/27...we'll see.

OK, everything is off getting blasted and powder coated.

In the meantime, we should be welcoming our third child into the world next week. I'll pick this up once everything calms down and my wife has recovered.

The next up, the motor!