Vintage Clutches

Spent the night removing some of the old clutches I've obtained from buying engines. I had sprayed PB Blaster on them for a week leading up to this as the last one I removed was an unmittigated disaster. (RIP lil Max Torque!) These all came off smooth and easy.

3 Max Torque, one Mercury and one Noram. Plus the dual sprocket lil guy I took off last week. Not sure who makes it. Not a peep anywhere on the dang thing. Looks like the Noram though.

Anyway, the Mercury has nothing holding the outter housing to the inner part with the shoes. Would I just need a snap ring for this do you think? I'm guessing someone tried to take it off in the past as the set screws were gone too. Good thing I bought a whole drawer full of set screws recently at an estate sale. Probably the only time that purchase will pay off. Hahaha.

Anyway, the Mercury has nothing holding the outter housing to the inner part with the shoes. Would I just need a snap ring for this do you think? I'm guessing someone tried to take it off in the past as the set screws were gone too.
Here is something to consider: I have had two Max Torque clutches made for two different two stroke applications. Both clutches came from Jim Donovan as two piece units. Nothing held them together. Where they meet in the middle on the shaft, are two to three nylon bushings. The entire unit is held on the crank shaft with an end bolt.

This results in a bit of slop (very little bit) and a way better aligning clutch to sprocket, and soaks up torque loading and unloading. Not all clutches are held together with a snap ring. Some are not held together by anything other than the bolt on the crankshaft.

Here is something to consider: I have had two Max Torque clutches made for two different two stroke applications. Both clutches came from Jim Donovan as two piece units. Nothing held them together. Where they meet in the middle on the shaft, are two to three nylon bushings. The entire unit is held on the crank shaft with an end bolt.

This results in a bit of slop (very little bit) and a way better aligning clutch to sprocket, and soaks up torque loading and unloading. Not all clutches are held together with a snap ring. Some are not held together by anything other than the bolt on the crankshaft.
So I guess the chain pretty much keeps it over the shoes and when the shoes bite it aint going anywhere anyway.

So I guess the chain pretty much keeps it over the shoes and when the shoes bite it aint going anywhere anyway.
The overall space of the clutch is such that a washer on the end of the crankshaft prevents the clutch from walking off the shaft. The installed width of the clutch is probably around 1/8 narrower than the exposed shaft. There just isn't anywhere for it to go. Note that these clutches do come with allen threads, but they are not used.

My days of using set screws in clutches are over. (I think) LOL.

The overall space of the clutch is such that a washer on the end of the crankshaft prevents the clutch from walking off the shaft. The installed width of the clutch is probably around 1/8 narrower than the exposed shaft. There just isn't anywhere for it to go. Note that these clutches do come with allen threads, but they are not used.

My days of using set screws in clutches are over. (I think) LOL.
No! I have hundreds for sale. If not thousands. Use em!! Lol