Vintage Open - 2018 JackScat Project

j57little

Tank Fittings

tank fitting.jpg

tank fitting 2.jpg

I got one question about the tank fitting, but I could not attach a file from my computer in the PM window (URL only), so here's the tank fitting.

j57little

IMG_1805.jpg

The nice thing about die cast parts is that they can be polished out.

IMG_1808.jpg

The bad thing about die cast parts is how much work it takes to polish them out! Any polishing experts - advice is most welcome!

IMG_1806.jpg

Chrome is already back. I found a place in Detroit that does a great job, but remember, for chrome you must choose between good, fast and cheap. You can pick two of three. I chose good and fast - took only two weeks! But the cost...ouch!!!!

IMG_1807.jpg

There are lost of 10" wheels available, but the quality is a concern in many cases. And since I wanted to use the original hubs I needed 24 spoke wheels and those are almost impossible to find. Everything out there now is 28.

Last edited:

j57little

Does anyone have contact information for Manchester1? She used to do some really nice seats, but doesn't seem to log on anymore. I need to find someone who does seats - any leads are appreciated!

Does anyone have contact information for Manchester1? She used to do some really nice seats, but doesn't seem to log on anymore. I need to find someone who does seats - any leads are appreciated!
She logs on. Let me try her facebook and let her know to maybe contact you. [MENTION=18286]manchester1[/MENTION]

j57little

IMG_1842.jpg
Most mini bikes I've seen have a simple bolt and tube connecting the forks to the frame - riding on cheap bearings. Here we see precision bearing cups and ball bearings top and bottom. That was fun getting back together!

IMG_1843.jpg

The final paint will be gray and purple. The frame is a hammered powder coat - thought I'd try something different and maybe save some time in the process.

Chipper provided an original Scat Cat pipe (very rare), but to fit it with my updated motor I would have to cut and weld it. So I am going to set it aside in case I ever want to install an original 4hp Tecumseh. I found a Scat Cat pipe for a larger bike and I am OK cutting and welding this one. It will have the same basic appearance, but will be fitted for a Predator motor. Speaking of which, I have all these racing parts for a Predator/Honda motor, so the engine will be modified as follows:
- Aluminum flywheel
- Governor removed
- Timing advanced
- Racing intake/filter
I estimate the engine will be producing closer to 10hp at 6,000 rpm (until it blows up). Then for $129 I'll replace it or find the right original motor for it. It should be fast... for a while.

I have a plan for rebuilding the forks, but I still have not found a source for a reupholstered seat. I might end up putting the original back on at this pace.

Last edited:

j57little

IMG_1847.jpg

New chrome is getting installed.

IMG_1846.jpg

I like to keep a tidy work area...

IMG_1845.jpg

Biggest problem on this build, but a solution may be in place.

j57little

IMG_1919.jpg

OK, I know it's not a great idea to use a 43 year old tire, but these tires were in great shape. I bought the bike from a junk dealer over two years ago and the bike sat in the garage ever since. I never serviced the tires and when I checked them a few days ago they still had 30 pounds of air. That seemed promising, but I did order some new replacements. We'll have to see.

IMG_1925.jpg

So after cleaning up the tires as best I could and installing the newly re-plated wheels...well, not too bad. I would like to get the whitewalls whiter, but that might be asking too much from a 43 year old tire.

Last edited:
Hi J57. Could you PM me the name of your plater. I am trying to get my rims on my Coleman chromed. I tried to PM you but it said your box was full.