Vintage Open - 2018 JackScat Project

j57little

P1180810.JPG

P1180816.JPG

The seat is back! This should work!

I also finally found some front fork springs that would work and they were cheap and required no modification, so the biggest issue with this build is resolved.

Last edited:

j57little

IMG_1960.jpg

The throttle is a modified ARC type. Note the two return springs - safety first!

IMG_1958.jpg

Speaking of safety, even though the governor has been removed, it was done to improve throttle response, not to over-rev the engine.

IMG_1942.jpg

The ARC light-weight flywheel increases rpm and horsepower...at least that's the claim.

IMG_1941.jpg

So here's the big question. With the governor removed, light-weight flywheel, advanced timing, improved air intake, etc., I should be getting more like 10 hp. Given that the Comet 30 is rated for up to 8 hp I could have a problem. We'll find out son enough.

IMG_1938.jpg

One of the major problems I saw in the original Scat Cat SC214B is that the triple tree can crash into the tank. The tanks had huge creases from this happening over the years. What you can see in these next two shot are bumpers created to provide an offset. This increases the turning circle slightly, but it prevents the triple tree from hitting the tank.

IMG_1939.jpg

You can see that the bumper hits the frame before the triple tree hits the tank.

Last edited:

j57little

IMG_1975.jpg

I chose some plastic fenders because they fit very well, but unfortunately it took a great deal of time to get them smooth. Now if I can just get a warm day in Michigan to paint them!

IMG_1976.jpg

Chipper provided an exact replacement pipe, but I chose not to use it as it would have to be modified for the Predator engine. I kept the original pipe in the event that I decide to retrofit with a vintage engine. But I did find a pipe that went with a Scat Cat equipped with a Hodaka engine and I was OK modifying that one. Seems to be working.

IMG_1977.jpg

The tripe tree standoffs work - no more creases in the tank!

Still to do:

Fender painting
Wheel alignment and installation
Front fender bracket
handlebars and grips, brakes, etc.

Almost done!

Attachments

Last edited:
Looks great! Loving the color combination. The scat cat I built is a lot of the same as yours, I dropped a predator in it too. I had to add a chain tensioner because it kept throwing the chain when done, I used the tav plate though. Hopefully you will be fine since you didn't use the plate. Very cool build!

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

j57little

Scat2018-1.jpg

Starting point

IMG_2006.jpg

Almost done. We finally got a break in the weather and I can get out of the basement!

IMG_2002.jpg

The pipe came out good - not exactly like it would be on a Tecumseh, but changes were required for the Predator.

IMG_2005.jpg

The seat worked out well too. I found a really great source if anyone needs a seat.

IMG_2004.jpg

The paint took forever because I haven't had the weather. So after 11 or so attempts it came out close enough! I just need some brake return springs, a handlebar mounted kill switch and some gas! I'll post the video as soon as I have it running.

Last edited:

j57little

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

ScatCat-Restored-5May2018.jpg
The final product - and it runs great! Special thanks to Chipper, Mr. Pat and Dragracertpp.

[video=youtube;SpH4NhFXfV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpH4NhFXfV8[/video]

Last edited:
Very cool bike! Sounds great!

You showed me a lot here, I think I will follow you and switch that torque converter plate over to the swing arm pivot.

Bike really looks great, love the color combination. Wheels turned out great too

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes