Vintage open Arco? unknown

red baron

Well the 3 wheeler is frozen into the yard so this is plan B. I picked this frame up last week, I can only guess it's an Arco. Why all the random parts and motors? I have no clue what I'm going to build yet. I've been threatening to build a 2 stroke but the 4 stroke would be easier and more correct. Eh, It will come together

Attachments

red baron

IMG_0591.JPG
Thanks guys and thank you Eric for looking that up. I couldn't find an exact match either.
Well I know the look I want and I think this as close as I'm going to get with this frame. I like the stance of the Frijole, Powell challenger and a few others. The thing I see with all of them is a short wheel base, short looking forks and not a lot of open space in the frame loop. I have a 5hp 2 stroke tec that I really would like to do and the one thing I haven't seen anyone do is use a proper exhaust on one of these motors. I'm fairly certain that a decent pipe would cure a lot of the power issues with these motors. A pipe from anything with the same rpm range and cc displacement will work. This motor is 139cc I believe so a pipe from a 70's on /off road bike around 125cc like a Kawasaki KE would work. It would give much more torque over a much wider rpm range. I think the pipe would fill the frame nicely as well. The trouble is the expense of adding all the extra components over a flat head build. I wanted to do a side by side but I don't have the computer chops

Last edited:

red baron

This is with the 4hp which I think looks better so this is my engine choice. I have Manco 2 piece wheels which are at the powder coat shop getting bright silver metallic. I was going to go chrome illusion but the coater said it would show all the flaws. I'm going to go with a really loud color for the frame. Hot wheels green, a chrome magenta or a heavy metal flake blue. I'm not sure about a seat design a pillow type with a two tone black and white side panel. I like the gold/bronze B&S motor color

Definitely an ARCO ..top left I believe . But that bracket at the top of the forks has got me :confused:

Eric,

This would be the later version after Arco sold out I believe. Had the number plate there. I had the original catalog but [MENTION=13543]derekbmn[/MENTION] owns it now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like two-stroke engines but after looking at the two pictures, I think the Briggs fills in the space better and you don’t have to deal with where to put the gas tank. All three of your color choices would look sharp. I’m not sure what hot wheels green looks like. If it’s a medium to dark metallic green... I like it. Nice project, those wheels are sweet!

red baron

Thank you t555trailblazer. The wheels go to my KG industries bike and I'm using them until I get my Manco wheels back from powder coat. The green I chose is a medium heavy metallic green. I've been very busy planning and buying parts. I've been working on the frame as well. I had a bunch of brackets to remove and welded uip some damaged areas. None of this makes for very interesting for pictures. I still need to replace the rear axle tabs because the axle wore through and washers were welded in at some point. I've scraped the idea of either motor and decided on a 212cc predator. I'll update the thread as soon as I have something worthy of a photograph

red baron

This is a seat bracket extension I guess, it killed me to do away with that kind of workmanship but I cut it off. I did away with the scrub brake to make way for the larger tires. I know what your thinking! What could he use that would be as awesome as a scrub brake? A drum brake of course. At least it will look better and will hopefully work better in wet conditions.

red baron

The rear axle mounts are in rough shape. It looks like the wheel bearings seized and like most kids they didn't see it as a problem and kept riding. I finally got some time to work on the build today so I built a jig to locate the axle after I cut the old mounts off. I wouldn't use a wood jig for building a frame but it should work well enough for my purpose. I feel like a cave man using these methods but I can't justify spending a lot of time and money on a one time use jig. I ran out of time so I didn't to cut out the old mounts or weld in the new ones. I'm waiting on my wheels that are still at the powder coat shop.

red baron

IMG_0623.JPG
This what I had in mind for a color. It reminded me of a hot wheels car I had when I was a kid. I want to say it was a '67 firebird but who knows? The years cloud my memory blank, it could have been a mustang for all I know lol.