Vintage out of production Firestone Balloon tires

Wow you've got an amazing collection of Fat tire vintage bikes.

How does the trapper perform? Those 2 stroke US820's are one of my faves.

I understand what your saying about the dreaded puncture when out for a boot. That would be a bummer for sure.

I honestly don't think i'd ride a fat tire bike very much in conditions where a puncture would be a major risk. Mainly on grass and snow. I have to find one first :wink:

What would happen if you ran the modern tires at that low of pressure? Would the rim bead come unseated?

The vintage tires look so cool with the rim less look. Wonder why they stopped production?

I have 3 trappers.. to be honest the Balloon tire bike is not as fast as the later models.. with the larger rims.. I do run my modern bikes at 5-7 lbs but that's as low as I feel comfortable using, without unseating the bead..

3 Trappers? Some have all the the luck lol. Wanna sell one perhaps?

I thought the super squishy older tires would have a good amount of rolling resistance. Sounds like a modern tire is just that.

I had a Manco Dingo 6 go kart with the 22 inch rear tires and I went down to 4lbs. Don't know if that was boarder line or not.

3 Trappers? Some have all the the luck lol. Wanna sell one perhaps?

I thought the super squishy older tires would have a good amount of rolling resistance. Sounds like a modern tire is just that.

I had a Manco Dingo 6 go kart with the 22 inch rear tires and I went down to 4lbs. Don't know if that was boarder line or not.
I am planning on selling some bikes this summer..

i just acquired a trapper. great shape except the tires. any chance you can list some pics/links of where you found the parts you used for converting these old tires and rims to new?

With all the chat about balloon tires I have a specific question that I am hoping some one this thread can answer. Do all the balloon tires have the same bolt pattern? What was the official dimensions of that bolt pattern?

Sprocket86

With all the chat about balloon tires I have a specific question that I am hoping some one this thread can answer. Do all the balloon tires have the same bolt pattern? What was the official dimensions of that bolt pattern?
I have learned a little more about these super cool tires since my first post. They use a 3 hole mount flange. I couldn't tell you the dimension but I do believe they are the same.

Sprocket86

i just acquired a trapper. great shape except the tires. any chance you can list some pics/links of where you found the parts you used for converting these old tires and rims to new?
Very cool machine. Did you end up getting it converted over or have it running yet? I still want to add a Trapper bike to the fleet.

Where did you find this one? I know this was 5 years ago lol

I have learned a little more about these super cool tires since my first post. They use a 3 hole mount flange. I couldn't tell you the dimension but I do believe they are the same.
I believe that they're all 3 holes on 2" diam bolt circle, but I've seen holes for 5/16" and 3/8" lug hardware. I presume 8mm or 10mm for imports.

Well I've always wanted a fat tire minibike and I have a lead on an El Burro chassis, fenders and belt guard. Basically a good solid start to a build.

I love the look of those tires and would like a set but I have a feeling they're to rich for me. Maybe not.

Why are you converting them? I see a lot of big tire minis that no longer have these tires when they were new.

Attachments