Vintage Rupp Continental Custom Restoration

After 5 years in the making and wads of cash spent I still seem to be working on this bike.

Everything is replaced with NOS on the rear wheel and it has original seat. And NOS everywhere else except for the chassis, fenders and shocks. Correctly re-done with factory OEM NOS Carlisle 4.10 x 3.50 x 6 Double Indian head tires. These tires still have the tit's on them from the factory mold and still soft and plyable rubber even though Carlisle been out of business since the 70's or so.

I tore down the Tecumseh H35 and installed a new piston and rings and fresh valves and painted the motor with correct Tecumseh factory Ivory paint - some folks call it cream - some call it almond. (I remember mine when I bought my continental custom new when I was a kid - it was ivory colored engine almost like egg shell in a way)

After years of looking I finally found the correct Rupp optional 6v OEM Rupp factory headlight and tailight system. It's about done I'm still looking for some few parts to finish up this project.

I hope you like it as much as I do...

Threw a Rod...

Looks just like the one I had as a kid back in 1965. You need to get the chrome tail pipe that everyone burned their leg on to put on there and a chain guard. Nice job and it brings back many memories. I always thought the Rupps were the top of the line as far as quality and looks. 5 of my freinds all had the same ones & I was the mechanic and that is where it all started. Gary M.

Fantastic, I too have a dream to get hold of a TT 500. Just picked up a 1970 Enduro in Jersey. Want that TT-500!! Nice work, you should be very proud.

Tail pipe...

Looks just like the one I had as a kid back in 1965. You need to get the chrome tail pipe that everyone burned their leg on to put on there and a chain guard. Nice job and it brings back many memories. I always thought the Rupps were the top of the line as far as quality and looks. 5 of my freinds all had the same ones & I was the mechanic and that is where it all started. Gary M.
Well be carefull what you ask for. You just might get it...

I went and had this 2 inch pipe bent for me and I cut the 45 Degree back cut and hung it on by a piece of wire so you could see it.

It seriously looks like you could :censure: burn the leg for sure. I think I danced around some doing that burn thing too when I fooled around on my Continental when I was a kid. Ahhh live and learn - nothing like tatooing yourself with a burn as a badge mark to wear forever.

A little tab to be wielded on the pipe and a splash of chrome that just might put the icing on the cake. It does kind of looks nice in the mock up stage huh...

Threw a Rod...

hmm...

Here is some picture ads.
That's neat to see old literature it points into the right direction when trying to figure what's originial or not.

I found this pdf for you that you might enjoy seeing...

http://www.parkinlube.com/pdfs/Rupp Continental Custom Special Econo-Cycle Brochure.pdf

Most people are mistified by when Mickey quit making the Continental - I personally think he ended them in 1966 because I don't see any ads to support that theory after that - the frames are different - they may be called goats or electra's or T500 or something else - but no old school Continentials...

Anyway it shows the old hard tails and other neat stuff in that era. :thumbsup:

Threw a Rod... :scooter:

Thanks! I already have that 1964 brochure in my files but thanks for posting it up for others to see because I was having problems doing so. I have the 65, 66 brochures on file also.

***** Engine and Battery tray question? *****

That looks right on what I remember. Good job for sure!! Have an extra HS35 motor?Gary M.
I only have just the Tech. H35 cast iron sleeve engine block for that era that needs a .020 bore job done on it.

But I do have a question for you. Do you remember like some kind of bent up tray that held the dual 6v batteries in under the seat. I got lucky and found the original factory U shaped rod that hangs down around 3 1/2 inches or so.

It's been soo long ago I forgot if there was a tray or not but it sure seems like I remember one when I changed batteries. Maybe you or some one may know for sure with a photo or provide correct measurements for one. I figure it's like the original chrome exhaust pipe - it's non existent as NOS anymore...

I'm thinking it was a U shaped shell maybe chrome with sides bent up a inch or so all around it and when you tightened up the U bolt bracket the batteries rested against the seat pan. I could be wrong but just asking the old pics of the factory litterature shows the wiring at the back of the battery and the battery runs lenghtwise of the frame and so does the U bolt - so it had to have a tray to keep the batteries from falling out ???

I Seriously Need help here with this ... maybe someone can chime in and advise. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

markus

That's neat to see old literature it points into the right direction when trying to figure what's originial or not.

I found this pdf for you that you might enjoy seeing...

http://www.parkinlube.com/pdfs/Rupp Continental Custom Special Econo-Cycle Brochure.pdf

Most people are mistified by when Mickey quit making the Continental - I personally think he ended them in 1966 because I don't see any ads to support that theory after that - the frames are different - they may be called goats or electra's or T500 or something else - but no old school Continentials...

Anyway it shows the old hard tails and other neat stuff in that era. :thumbsup:

Threw a Rod... :scooter:
thats a cool brochure, never saw that one:thumbsup: Looks like they were all red in '64:shrug:

JMBmini whats the '65 look like any good photos of the econo cycle? I don't think I have see the 65 brochure.