Vintage Slot cars.........

I'm like the rest of you guy's. I love anything on wheels......

*I was lucky and owned a track in the largest Mall in Alaska. Even 10 years ago my Group 7 cars would cover the 155ft Blue King in under 2.5 seconds. The most popular to race (if you ain't rubbin, you ain't racing) were 4.5 stock cars and trucks. Today the elite are racing complex road course tracks with un winged eurosport's.

None of the cars you see are hard bodied car. They are all Lexan and painted from the inside.

Last edited:
nice lineup of porsches you got there. I only have HO scale track but id get the bigger size if i came acosss a set someday. I had a vintage lotus body a while back i sold it I was surprized at the $ it brought.

old 1960's slot car box I used to own.....somebody had decal'd it back in the day....that's the only time I have ever seen the woodpecker with 2 cigars...probably a way of them ripping off Clay Smith's artwork without copyright issues....

the decal was on there so long it actually "soaked" into the wood....if you ran your hand over it or looked close you would swear it was painted on......another reason why I love the old water transfer decals.

sold it a couple years ago when we got out of vintage slots.....:doah:

[/QUOTE]

im going to guess there is no cheap slot cars any more is there? been cleaning up my old track and thinking about getting a few cars so i can have a some to play on . that work and not just the junk yard o missing parts :laugh:.

Man, this goes way-back! for me (mid 60's?).......I remember names like "Kemtron" and "Pittman" motors.....we used to rewind these motors to 1.5 volts and shoot 12 volts to em' on the drag race track....they were mounted to long brass (soldered) frame dragsters with oversize tires....smoking the motors, of course...but man they were fast!

I used to race Womps in the early 80s as a kid. We raced about 3 times a week, and the entire car, and entire engine was taken apart down to the armature after every race. I was consistant enough to pay for most of my parts with the store credit I would win placing 1/2/3 consistantly.

Lied about my age to get my first job to be able to move up to a group car, but the local track closed down before I got my chance.

Early 90s came another local track, and i built a couple group cars, but never got back into racing. Real cars took over by then..

What I learned about gearing, traction, and throttle control back then has proven extremely valuable in everything from minibikes to cars.

I fell that most minibikers have yet to experience what the right gearing can do for a minibike.

I'll have to dig out my box when I get a chance.

I remember getting a nice box like the one above as an 8th grade graduation present. Still have it stuffed full somewhere.

I never had the bigger scale slot cars, They look they be fun. I got my now vintage TYCO sets since Mattel bought them in 97, Mattel doesn't make much slot car stuff anymore. I also have some AFX, AutoWorld and some T-Jets cars that work on my TYCO track. I got mine set up in the basement over the winter. I did get my Brother In-law hooked on them this winter.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Did anybody else have a Classic Asp? that was my first 1/24th Slot Car, my buddy was a slot car fanatic, and told me not to buy one cause they were the biggest piece of crap ever to be set on a track, but did I listen? Nooooooooo! I just thought they were the most bitchen looking car ever made!

Did anybody else have a Classic Asp? that was my first 1/24th Slot Car, my buddy was a slot car fanatic, and told me not to buy one cause they were the biggest piece of crap ever to be set on a track, but did I listen? Nooooooooo! I just thought they were the most bitchen looking car ever made!
I remember that car ! never had one though. My friends mom worked at Dynamic and always brought home tires for us ! Another friend of mine who died a few years ago raced for team Parma. His parents bought him a slot car track. It was called Circle T in North Hollywood. His name was Don Aspenson. His parents ran the place until it closed down.

Neck

Growing up is optional
I had a Parma pistol grip controller with a 1.5 OHM resistor and the big heat sink poking out the top. It worked really well for the Group 20 and Group 7. We had a Shop in Bellflower called The Hot Slot. They ran the track on two 8D truck batteries, and the cars would FLY! Used to ride my 10 speed there on Saturday's. We also had a track about a block from the house I grew up in called the Archery Lanes (their main business was, of course archery!) But the tracks were junk! I can still smell the wintergreen tire goop everybody used in those days!

Neck

Growing up is optional
Do you remember how all the tracks wiring wasn't standardized, and when you went to hook up your controller you had to put two wires on and then tap the post with the third to see if it sparked so you could tell if you were right or not? Man I saw a lot of controllers go up in smoke! Everybody got a good laugh, except the poor Sap that fried his controller!

Do you remember how all the tracks wiring wasn't standardized, and when you went to hook up your controller you had to put two wires on and then tap the post with the third to see if it sparked so you could tell if you were right or not? Man I saw a lot of controllers go up in smoke! Everybody got a good laugh, except the poor Sap that fried his controller!
Yeah I remember all that ! We had Revell raceway, Tom Thumb, and Circle T in the Valley.

Hey pindrive, here's a picture taken last summer of my wife in a fine drinking establishment while on vacation. Does this look familiar??? Walt