Vintage Slot cars.........

Did anybody else have a Classic Asp? that was my first 1/24th Slot Car, my buddy was a slot car fanatic, and told me not to buy one cause they were the biggest piece of crap ever to be set on a track, but did I listen? Nooooooooo! I just thought they were the most bitchen looking car ever made!
I have an Asp that I just picked up at an estate auction which included the box. Classic had several cars in that series but I to liked the look of the Asp. Classic did some others in a different line that are quite pricey at this point but I can't remember what the names are on them. I'll try to post ya a picture of the Asp and box when I have a few minutes this evening.

I loved when i get a stellar bike and two HO slot cars on one stop! Ive got more of the little cars than minibikes thier smaller.:laugh:

I have an Asp that I just picked up at an estate auction which included the box. Classic had several cars in that series but I to liked the look of the Asp. Classic did some others in a different line that are quite pricey at this point but I can't remember what the names are on them. I'll try to post ya a picture of the Asp and box when I have a few minutes this evening.
Im thinking ''Stinger", "Gama ray", and "serpent". I have the Stinger.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Thanks Buddy:thumbsup:

From the 60s, I've got 2 Sidewinders in 1/24 and 2 AMTs, one in 1/24 and one in 1/32. Seemed to have lost my bodies though. The 1/24th AMT was last seen under a 63 Thunderbird body, the 1/32 under a Chevette body. (Chevy's supercar concept-not the later POS) The Sidewinders had various bodies, none of which seem to be with the parts, dammit. The old controller is there, so is a bottle of Holton valve oil, along with an assortment of tires and parts.

We used to have Gene's Pit Stop here along with a place called Al's. A new place just opened up near the old Al's. Maybe I should get this stuff together.

I remember my brother blowing up a Russkit powered Cobra on Al's dragstrip.

NO WAY....I STUMBLED ACROSS THIS THREAD :thumbsup:

Ive been racing slots from the 60's to this day (1/24 scale, wood tracks) I took about a 15 year break to raise my family, and got back into it about 7 years ago. We still have 5 raceways up here in NORCAL, I've been collecting Vintage slotcars for about 20 years. When I get some time I'll post some pictures!!!

BC1500 DAVE :thumbsup:

You got some nice rides there Chainsaw!!! :thumbsup:

Here's just a few pictures of some of my rides.....

This is what I race today :thumbsup: the top car is a Euro Sport and the bottom one is a GT-12, cars from back in the day could run a 7 second lap. Todays cars (pictured) get around the track in the three to four second range per lap (GT-12) and the Euro's are down in the very low three seconds per lap. Of course the times very do to track length.

This is a picture of me impersonating the great John "The Jet" Cukras while we were building the tracks at "T&T" Raceway in Modesto,Ca.

Slotcar racing is far from dead in NORCAL :thumbsup: "T&T" six months ago....

\

TO BE COUNTINUED.....

Last edited:
(COUNTINUED)

I'll post more, and pictures of the "PRO" era of slot racing.... And pictures of my "little cars" :thumbsup:

Here is a pic of the track last winter.These cars are my runners.I have almost 300 ho slots.t-jets and afx are my fav.Also have every thing that was ever made for the tyco us-trucking.Every depo cars,trucks,uname it for the series.

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Thanks' for the trip down memory lane Dave, WOW.... I can remember drooling on the glass case at the local tracks in the early 60s over those cars. Got an ASP hiding in there someplace?

Or is this an Asp? It's been a really long time!

Last edited:
Chainsaw..... You and all others are more than worthy!!!:thumbsup:

Slotcars were a great thing back in the day for learning alot about mechanics when you were a whipper snapper!!! I too.... Have always liked the Classic line of rides :thumbsup: thats when I got into slots as a kid. I have a Serpant and a Gama-Ray and Manta-Ray some where around here :shrug: I never got into the Cox line of rides.... Because they were before my time. The Classic, B-Z and Dynamic rides were the shit when I was a kid.... They were just FASTER then anything out there. :thumbsup:

Mr Neck :thumbsup:.... Classic made two ASPS.... The Green one that the massess bought.....

it came with with the parts to make a little 1/32 Farrari (sorry, I do not know how to spell Farrari and I never will) :laugh: It had hard rear tires (German Sponge) and a 16D motor (12 volt) and that's what the world knows......

Classic later came out with the "COMPETITION ASP" it had foam rear tires and "O" ring front tires and a 26D motor that was a 3 volt motor and was alot faster..... The "COMP ASP" as it is refered to, also had a brass weighted front end and a bigger body.... As pictured....

Slot on!!!

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
I had forgotten exactly what they looked like, it's been 45 years since I bought mine! I remember they resembled a futuristic Indy car, and they were green. They didn't handle worth $hit, I remember that!

Just one name, Donnie Aspenson ! I grew up with him,played baseball with him,went to school with him and raced slot cars with him. He raced for Team Parma. His parents bought a slot car track years ago called Circle T raceway in North Hollywood Ca. He died a few years ago and so did that slot car track. God I miss that place. RIP Donnie !
I had another friend whose mom worked for Dynamic and she would sneak out tires for us.

Last edited:
Kustomkart, I recently purchased water slide decals from Ebay of the woodpecker on your slot car box. I used the two small originals on my tank and copied the large decal and made my own water slide. The large water slide was two big. Not sure what year there from but they are old. I still have the original large waterslide if interested.... See link

VINTAGE IMPKO WATERSLIDE DECAL STICKER CLAY SMITH MR. HORSEPOWER WOODPECKER | eBay

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/61574-my-first-minibike-restoration-any-good.html

So there still out there......