Vintage Slot cars.........

My dad told me about a track a guy had built years and years ago, they would build their cars using 1:26/1:25 scale model kits.
Certainly would have been cool to see... I wouldnt mind participating in something like that... but its long gone.

Years ago a local lazer tag joint had an 8 lane Blue king track, I used to race there regularly, he closed up but I still have my cars/controller, no place to race around here any more.....................Tom.

My dad told me about a track a guy had built years and years ago, they would build their cars using 1:26/1:25 scale model kits.
Certainly would have been cool to see... I wouldnt mind participating in something like that... but its long gone.
Too bad u do not live in the area, pelican park builds 1/24th 1/25th scale hard bodies, using model kits.. different classes, open wheeler, nascar, jalopay, can am, e.t.c.. look them up. http://www.pelicanparkspeedway.com/

heres the christmas setup and most of my cars. keeps the thing more entertaining and were boored of it by the time the holidays are over anyway :thumbsup:

My son and I were pretty heavy into slot cars for a while...all different scales but mostly HO...he was a much better racer than I was so I built the car and he ran them....

Never got into the collector side of it all that much but I would buy stuff as we went along if it was interesting....ended up selling it all and blowing the money on mini bikes :biggrin:

I'll try and dig out some photos...

Here's a rare factory built Aurora layout sold through FAO Schwartz in the mid 60's....I found it out on Long Island ....

I'm slowly getting back to HO racing. Just found another track/group about 15 minutes from me. It's a Brad Bowman routed track. Nice stuff. Hoping I can still hang with all these fast guys...

I had a pretty nice HO train set givin to me.. Box has lots of water damage to the paint, but train is all nice.. They'd be the rite scale if ya wanna play "cars on the RR tracks" :devil2:

Bob Hardin's "Track-In-A-Box"

I first met Bob Hardin about 10 years ago when I was marketing some products for the slot car hobby and I hired him to handle the artwork. Besides being a brilliant graphic artist he's a neat guy and we hit it off right away.

I'm too lazy to type it all out again, so here's a cut and paste of an article I wrote for HO World Magazine...along with some pics.

Many of the H.O. World readers are probably familiar with the work of
artist Bob Hardin. His Slot Car "THRILLUSTRATIONS" and "SLOT
CARtoons" adorn the walls of slot car parlors, basements, and hobby
shops around the globe. Few however, have probably had the pleasure
of seeing one of his "Track-in-the-Box" portable scenic raceways that
he created early on in his career.
You see when he's not busy with his work as a commercial illustrator
for clients like NASCAR and Lucent, or drawing for CARtoons magazine,
or teaching advanced cartooning techniques at the Joe Kubert School
of Art, Bob spends his off time plying his skills as a master
modeler. His sprawling scenic basement layout, an interwoven old
school collaboration of vintage H.O. trains and slot cars, is right
out of the pages of an early 60's Car Model magazine. Mix in his
appreciation for vintage 1:1 race cars, small town race tracks, and
throw in a heavy dose of a childhood spent reading Mad magazine and
here are the scaled-down results. Only a few of these suitcase-sized
layouts were built.
This happens to be the original Slot Car Speedway" #1 which later
served as the model for some of his "Thrillustration" artwork. It
features "weathered" lock and joiner track with soldered rail joints,
original 60's figures, accessories, and scratch built scenery, all
with hand painted detailing. Oh yeah there's a built in transformer
and hook-ups hidden in the surrounding rock formations that allow two
racers to clip on their favorite controller and run some hot laps. It
uses a couple of old Aurora coupes that have rock hard slicks
on the back. It keeps the speed down and allows you to slide them
through the turns. It's a real hoot! Look close and you'll even see
an H.O. sized Bob Hardin next to the infield pit shack, enjoying the
action with his favorite cold beverage. The whole layout is approx.
42"x 21".

Enjoy the action.

To get a better glimpse into the eclectic world of Bob Hardin, you
can visit his website at BOB C. HARDIN: Commercial Illustration & Fine Art | Bio

Last edited:
i know this is old but i love slot cars! you guys got some nice stuff on here. i was big into racing flexis in the late 90s when i was a kid. now i have a stash of vintage cars and dabble in scratch building with vintage parts i scrounge up.

I sold a collection of over 225 slot cars,all working and the junkyard.From t-jets,afx,tyco,us trucking,just to name a few. Got a pretty good chunk of change for them too.

Just one name, Donnie Aspenson ! I grew up with him,played baseball with him,went to school with him and raced slot cars with him. He raced for Team Parma. His parents bought a slot car track years ago called Circle T raceway in North Hollywood Ca. He died a few years ago and so did that slot car track. God I miss that place. RIP Donnie !
I had another friend whose mom worked for Dynamic and she would sneak out tires for us.
Hi! I ran across this thread when I was looking up information about my dad. Don Aspenson. I remember Circle T Raceway when I was a kid my grandparents used to let me start the track for races☺️ I was hoping if you or anyone could post or send me any pics/memories of my dad or grandparents from back then? I miss them crazy. Thank you in advance for any help☺️

Attachments