Vintage Snowblower

Mr. Pink

Vintage Wards B&S Snowblower.jpeg
Snowblower Side View.jpeg

As I was contemplating purchasing this, someone else snatched it up.

My question for when the next time one of these becomes available, does this Briggs and Stratton/snowblower setup always have a 3/4” keyed crankshaft PTO?

And if it does, is the PTO end threaded for a retaining bolt?

I’m also assuming that it is not a big deal to swap the cam and side cover to eliminate the reverse shaft, correct?

It was a bit scary, but I was able to successfully drill and tap the crank of my current engine.

Drill Guide.jpg

Tap Crank.jpg

Clutch Bolted On.jpg

Biffmini

Most are 3/4" keyed, drilled & taped
I'm sure there are some oddballs out there.....
Yes too eliminate reverse, cam & cover swap. or cut shaft off & run it

Mr. Pink

So is it also safe to assume that "most" rototillers with a Briggs and Stratton from this era are also 3/4" keyed, drilled & taped?

I had a big disappointment when I removed the water pump from this 1980 Briggs and found that the crank was 5/8" and threaded.

Threaded Shaft.jpg

Oh well, lots of other usable parts on this engine. And I only paid $20.

Triley41395

So is it also safe to assume that "most" rototillers with a Briggs and Stratton from this era are also 3/4" keyed, drilled & taped?

I had a big disappointment when I removed the water pump from this 1980 Briggs and found that the crank was 5/8" and threaded.

View attachment 284767

Just about every tiller I have seen you can see what size the pulleys are and if the end of the crank is tapped. I bought 30(I know too many) engines this last spring and summer,both tecumseh and briggs, and all but 2 were 3/4 inch and threaded.

View attachment 284767

That is useable. Just need to cut a keyway easy

I just use a thin cutoff wheel small diameter and cut the two edges and clear out the middle. finish off close to the engine with a smaller dremel wheel. It doesnt have to be perfect. But my results always turn out pretty close.

Mr. Pink

I just use a thin cutoff wheel small diameter and cut the two edges and clear out the middle. finish off close to the engine with a smaller dremel wheel. It doesnt have to be perfect. But my results always turn out pretty close.
Even though timing is not an issue, is the PTO keyway typically at a specific crank angle in relation to TDC?