Vintage Tire Explosion

I was putting Air in My newly acquired Trojans tires today. They are old but showed no visible cracks. As I was airing up the front tire Slowly, The side wall ripped open and this big friggin balloon came out. So I grabbed my I pad and started snapping pics. Then kabooom! Too bad I didn't video it. It scared the Crap outta me! :scared: Maybe these Trojans were past their expiration date!:lol:

Last edited:
For car/truck tires, you aren't supposed to use them if they are more than 7 years old, even if they've been on a rack in a warehouse for seven + years, unused.

capguncowboy

good thing you weren't cruising on it when it happened.

I had a stand up scooter tire do that when I was a kid. I biffed it hard. Lesson learned - no more cracked tires for this guy

Davis

Wonder what will happen to my original tires on my bonanzas when I'm doin over 50 probably not a good idea but I'm doin it.

I just changed the tires on my 2008 Ford Ranger. They had 54,000 miles (original tires) on them. I was really nervous. They looked great but it was liking driving on time bombs.

I used to manage a tire store, seen a few tires blow including a split rim. Got to tell you even these little tires can cause some serious harm. Even low pressure ( under 5psi) in large amounts can take off limbs or heads. We had to pry a 50lb wheel out of the roof one time. Took a week or more to get the kid that was working on it to not shake like a dog trying to pass a peach pit when he aired up tires after that. Saw a sidewall on a car tire pop and bruise a guys whole forearm. We thought it was broke, but was just pretty colors for a couple weeks. Oh, and it is considered bad form to throw a cherry bomb under the kids ass the day after a split rim sticks in the roof.